Next lesson in ink and watercolor.

jmfletch

The stated goal of this lesson is to help develop skillls for urban sketching while using photographs for these lessons. Instructions are to aim for 15 min but no more than 20 minutes and to capture the look and feel not getting lost in details.
Drawing direct in ink is so contrary to my style. I literally use my eraser as much as my pencil when I draw. However I did learn a lot with these first two…accepting errors and mistakes and thinking more overall effect does allow you to work more quickly

10771D36-13C1-4623-A3EF-7E91E64F64C7.jpeg

6B41CE6F-34EF-4E07-8E0C-B57FA56FBEF6.jpeg
F6F44ECC-784E-4595-A826-09B1DD50B500.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DC2BFCB-3F13-4537-9732-0E5AA803C391.jpeg
    1DC2BFCB-3F13-4537-9732-0E5AA803C391.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 36
Joe, you did a great job! I erase a lot also, and would dread drawing directly in ink so quickly. The Portland Head is really impressive. I was there and you did it proud!

Lovely sketches! I enjoy sketching directly in ink because it shows up everything. I like how you've picked out individual details in the lawn and the trees.

These are very nice sketches, and I am amazed that you have done them in only 15 minutes each.

Impressive work for those time restrictions! Very nice.

Hard to follow the instructions about avoiding details with photo refs so full of them, I would think. You did well! :)

Joy, EP, Triduana, Balaji, Terri, KreativeK, CaliAnn - thank you all so much for the encouraging comments. You have no idea how much your words mean especially trying something new in art that is outside my comfort zone.

Joe, one would never guess this was outside your comfort zone! I think we would all love to see more of these. If we do not push ourselves, we will not progress.

Joe, amazing work with the short time frame and requirement to draw directly in ink. I still do my initial sketch in pencil. I haven't been quite brave enough to try directly in ink. One of these days.......

I especially like the second one of the lighthouse.

I always enjoy such colored sketches, with a special respect for those directly done with no initial pencil sketch. I don't feel confident enough myself to go directly with ink. I loose long times with the pencil, looking for higher accuracy.
:)

Thank you all fir taking time to comment and support. It is very much appreciate.

Last edited:
Well here are a couple more from same lesson. This is definitely a learning experience, both drawing direct in ink and using watercolor. Was really happy with the barn until I messed up the sky. The church I spent too much time on drawing and rushed the washes plus somewhere in the process lost the perspective.

5E00AA62-91C1-4137-B621-36E7FD418F11.jpeg

C9091415-B26B-484C-9129-F7D3ADD6A4CE.jpeg

98A78711-8B78-4BF8-8634-21AE3C7EB83E.jpeg

I just love your barn. Looks like you were going for an overcast sky to me - not messed up.

I get what you're saying about the church's perspective here, but it's minor, really. The warmth of the wash is what makes it - and your nice shadows.

Good work! ❤️

Joe, you are a quick learner. You are doing so well with the watercolors. You draw great going fast with the ink. What kind of pens are you using? Applause and props!!

You're doing superb progress, Joe. I like the church sketch mostly. The perspective might not to be correct, but the linework looks lively and confident.

I agree with Sylwia. I would be thrilled to be progressing like that. Excellent work.

You all are great for my Art ego! Thank you all so very much. Appreciate the encouragement.

jo, I am using Sakura Micron which the instructor (and you in the past) recommended

Back