New England Forests

TamPaints

Mostly Illustration
I love the old northern forests of New England. They just feel a little extra magical to me. I've taken quite a few hikes and camping trips up there.

Today I did a study of a photo from these forests. I mostly focused on trying to find a way to convincingly paint the fallen leaves that dot most of the forests up north. There really isn't much in the way of bushes or grasses up there. Mostly fallen leaves, tree saplings, and stones that have risen to the top of the ground from the yearly freeze and thaw cycle.

Let me know what you think. If you know of a good resource for getting better at painting these landscapes, let me know!

Tom_Weasels_Study_07-2023.jpg

Let me know what you think.
I think you're pretty much right on. I live in northern New York, near the Canadian border, and I've witnessed a change like this in my woodlot over the last thirty years. As trees grow and the upper canopy of leaves block sunlight, the bushy undergrowth disappears. This brings a leafy shady floor like you're showing. Farmers used to pull up stones while clearing a pasture and pile them into a rubble fence, like this, to keep dairy cows under control. We still find them all over old farm plots that have gone back to woods. Nice picture, looks right to me. (y)

Last edited:
I love the composition of this. How you have the two trees in the foreground, with the leaning stems contrasting with those in the background. I love the hazy background too. A place I'd like to explore. 🙂

A great job. Your palette that derives primarily from burnt umber all the way to those beiges with touches of pure black is striking.

I like the dynamic lean of the two large trunks and the more serene look of many of the horizontals of the smaller growths. Makes it look like one of those solemn, hushed voice places.

Wonderful scene and composition. Very well-rendered. I can see even more colors in this if you were so driven to do so. But it's terrific as is, too, as a style. I love it. ♥️

Lovely misty atmosphere and peaceful mood which is created by your pallet and graceful tree trunks. Beautiful.

Thank you all! I'm glad to hear that the landscape is reading well, despite my difficulties getting the leaf layer how I wanted it.

Back