NEED HELP MAKING MY PHOTOGRAPHS LOOK PROFESSIONAL!!

Okino

I just recently embarked in a path to make my art and photography come out of it being just my hobby to making it my career, but I am completely self taught and was always so scared to put my work out there, I know my work isn't professional and I am still learning as I go. I offered my friends some free photoshoots to have reference for future customers, and I had a blast at the shoot, but once I got home to editing, I felt I just couldn't make them look pro. It is a lot to ask but I want to keep going and take that next step! Any help would be amazing. I always hoped I'd find a mentor, or just someone to guide me, but I am on this ride alone, hoping you beautiful people wouldn't mind stretching a hand to help me up.

This is some of the photos I took... please comment!!

Attachments

• tania-47.jpg
    tania-47.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 36
I can offer my opinions on some technical things here. But - they are only my opinions. :)

First, if all of the children are the main subjects of this shoot (as opposed to just the center one), then they should not have their faces or bodies clipped by the railings, which happens on either side.

If you liked the grouping (one standing two seated), then taking a step or two closer in, and get yourself a stool to raise yourself (and camera) upwards so you have a better angle with no obstructions in front of your subjects.

Also, there is needless space on either side of the frame that diminishes the importance of your subjects. They should be the center of attention, not the white fencing around them - and again, certainly not the large red posts in front of them.

Another thing to consider when you photograph in color are the same principles that we use in painting. Warm colors advance; cool colors recede. Those large red posts are overpowering the subjects, who are not only literally behind them, but are also all wearing various shades of blue.

If possible, consider a re-shoot and line the kids up with no distracting objects inserting themselves into the frame. Look into your viewfinder and study all four corners. Try for a vertical shot, or perhaps frame it where you can crop it later to a square format.

Finally, if you are serious about photographing people, invest in a good portrait lens.

Hope some of this is of value to you!

Thank you so much! I am gonna do a Re shoot as this was a super short one cause the kids were not having it! thank you for the detailed info. that really helps me a lot to think about the framing of the photoshoot! if you have any more tips Id love it! thank you!

You're very welcome! Good luck - and have fun with it! :)

While you're trying to turn your hobby into a career that will support you, I think you should do some market research on what people and companies are buying and what they're willing to pay for it. Remember everyone in the world today is a photographer with a cell phone camera and some of them now produce high quality pictures. Most of those might be and can be freely distributed on social media and if anybody wants to pirate it for their own use, they can easily download the picture with two clicks of a mouse. You might have to consider specializing in portrait photography, or wedding photography, or child photography and school photography, or pet photography (think dog and horse shows), boudoir photography, stock photography, etc. With child photography, remember to get legal consent forms from parent or guardian. Aerial photography from an airplane has been replaced by drone photography which is much better and cheaper, think about that. If you live in an area that has unique picturesque environmental features not available to average tourists, think about that. Find out what potential customers want that they can't do themselves. It's a lot to consider. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back