Motorsport...Thrill of it All.

Respect due...Lotus...You....1965? Thrills?
And ... you worked for Martin guitars?

If we could meet up for a pint of ale.....we'd be in the pub for days..!

I was a big fan of Lotus. And of Jim Clark. He just seemed like a humble guy who happened to be brilliant at driving fast cars.

Yep, I worked for Martin. Learned how to fit necks there, which stood me in very good stead down the road, since almost nobody outside the factory had any idea how to do it, and it's a short step from that to a neck reset. For quite some time, I was the only person in New York (other than Jimmy D'Aquisto, who didn't work on flat tops), and later in Cambridge, who knew how to do a proper reset.

When me and my East Village pal Richie checked into the Nazareth Inn on our first day in town and looked out our windows on a fine, mild June evening, we saw a parade of muscle cars, all spotless.

There was no theater in town and no clubs, so this is what folks did for evening entertainment in good weather, just mosey around the block showing off their high-powered Detroit iron.

The next day we picked up the local rag and found a three-bedroom apartment in town, around two miles from the Martin plant and half a mile from Bell Box Co, where his uncle just happened to be foreman, thus giving at least one of us immediate employment on arrival. Whole top floor of a nice asphalt shingled house, including a big finished attic, for $70 a month with heat.

Good luck with that now.

Last edited:
Yeah ... And I went back and edited my response ..... ( took me 13 minutes ) and now we are on page two....

( maybe 23 )

I rode my GSXR 750 to Assen in 2017 for the MotoGP there.
The last race Rossi has won ( to date ).

It was a travesty that Ayrton Senna died through motor racing. He was very much a humanist and the foundation set up in his name by his sister Vivianne helps tens of thousands of the poorest Brasilian children.

It was a travesty that Ayrton Senna died through motor racing. He was very much a humanist and the foundation set up in his name by his sister Vivianne helps tens of thousands of the poorest Brasilian children.
The foundation in his name is wonderful.
At first, I recoiled at your thinking that his death was a travesty.

I searched the definition of the word travesty ....'a false, absurd or distorted representation of something'.

The foundation in his name is wonderful.
At first, I recoiled at your thinking that his death was a travesty.

I searched the definition of the word travesty ....'a false, absurd or distorted representation of something'.
It would have been tragedy if my stumpy thumbs were more accurate and I were not using a phone that is a corrective text control freak!

Musket....great history you recount...love it

The only disadvantage of that apartment was that our landlords, who lived downstairs, were Sonny and Cher freaks. They played I Got You Babe and the rest of that album over and over again, loudly enough for us to hear it through their ceiling, every morning and evening, while we sat in our kitchen listening to I Am the Walrus and trying to figure out if it really said Paul is dead.

Well... it could have been worse, musket. It could have been the Partridge Family... or Yoko and John Zorn. 😄

and.....the most important part of a racing car is....?????

The nut that holds the steering wheel.

Back