Monsoon Forming Over The Bay

A

Aspenman

12x16 on canvas textured panel using Lukas Berlin Water Mixable Oils with a 2 Inch cheap natural bristled brush. Painted alla prima in a dry brush technique with color blending done directly on the surface dry into dry.
Living in the SW for 12 years, I have seen a lot of monsoon storms and they can be terribly dangerous 😳 not to mention terribly scary!!

IMG-0952~3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous painting. Those blues are amazing! How many did you blend together, if I may ask?

Gorgeous painting. Those blues are amazing! How many did you blend together, if I may ask?

Thanks 🙏 Terri appreciated.

I normally start with ultramarine straight from the tube and start blending in cobalt with a touch of titanium white added towards the horizon. I also sometimes throw in a dab of Paynes grey.
If I want the colors to be somewhat subdued I first cover the sky area with a coat of Mid Toning Grey acrylic paint. I can go over that with my WMO’s without letting the mid grey dry. Ya just need to play with.
Let me know if you try it.

Wow!!! This one packs a punch!
Thanks Donna- the storms pack a 1--2 punch with high wind, tons of rain, sometimes hail!! Lots of flooding, we had a dry riverbed behind our house but during a monsoon storm it would fill up and be come a raging river!!