Magic Basin

Artyczar

Just finished this one. It's a 9 x 12 on #300 Fabriano paper.

magic-basindetail.jpg

My first thought when I looked at this was Saul Steinberg. His famous New Yorker cover art was more geographical while your work here is more soulful. There is a compelling balance that is offset by the colors of the open fields on the right. Which makes this work appear natural and not contrived. The flowers in the foreground shout out their colors in an almost abstract manner, which adds a pleasant impressionistic element to your work.

This is a fine and well executed painting. I enjoyed thinking about it and sharing my thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

A landscape in colorful patterns and layers - love it! Your painting style always reminds me that there are more than conventional or representational ways to interpret reality - much more interesting ways.

Well Ayin. I looked at this a few times and must admit, I did not get it. I kept looking at a quilt. I guess that is a hangover from your sewing patterns. Then like magic, this beautiful landscape of hills, ocean , and sky opened up to me. That is simply amazing: two paintings in one, and held together by a stitch. Well done.

I love it! So full of color. It amazes me sometimes that what you do "works." With all that's going on color-wise and pattern-wise on what is - to my eye, anyway - a completely flat plane, it still works as a beautiful landscape.

It struck me at first as kind of aboriginal, but then Wayne mentioned stitching, and it does resemble boro patchwork in places. Neat trick!

Its so pretty. This kind of pattern would look really cool on a long skirt, in my opinion.
As a child i once read a book where the sun dropped there favorite blanket and this painting reminds me of it

I just can't thank everyone enough for the wonderful thoughtful comments that you all took the time and contemplation to write for me. I know how introspective and considerate this is to do at times, and I appreciate this more than you know! I didn't expect this kind of feedback on this little piece at all. I'm so glad I posted it! :) ♥️ I did hear from someone else--this thing about the quilt, but I didn't intend that. I can see how it looks like that now and that's okay with me, as long as it's an enjoyable aspect of the painting. :) I actually don't know what I intended, as this was all just utter instinct and not planned out like many of my other pieces.

Thank you all again--from the bottom of my heart!!! :)

I actually don't know what I intended, as this was all just utter instinct and not planned out like many of my other pieces
sure you do .. it's your soul .. or self .. or whatever name you call it. You are in touch with yourself and all that went through you. That comes out through your subconscious when you paint with your soul and not your mind.

Thanks Wayne. You seem to be more self-aware than I am, and I thought I was pretty in tune. :ROFLMAO: You are right though. It must be my core self that leaks out onto the paper. Hee hee. 🌻

The self seen through "the veil of the soul," perhaps?
Great minds and all that...

...it's your soul .. or self .. or whatever name you call it. You are in touch with yourself and all that went through you. That comes out through your subconscious when you paint with your soul and not your mind.

Paul Cezanne said:
“If I were called upon to define briefly the word Art, I should call it the reproduction of what the senses perceive in nature, seen through the veil of the soul.”

Last edited:
This is a wonderful piece, Ayin! It reminds me a bit of our Indigenous artists (Australia) with their patterns and ways to tell stories of their country.

This is a beautiful piece and yes, I agree with Bethany...it does remind me too of some of the work that I have seen of Australian indigenous artists.

Ayin. that's a beautifully bold piece. Regarding those bands of colour: did you have some formula to select them, or did you just choose a combination of adjacent colours that looked right to you?

Detail.jpg

Back