Mabef half box easel (saga)

Bongo

For size comparison, this is the half box next to a full box (an old junker I use for parts)
M3.jpg

Side view, shown full extended - palette about 36" high- (I use it set to 30"). 22" inches between the front legs, 39" between front legs and back leg
M4.jpg

front view - with 14"x18" panel - my "standard" size for plein air
M6.jpg

all box easels look pretty much the same - the difference is in the quality of materials and craftsmanship
Mx.jpg

Leather handle and strap, solid brass hardware, top quality Beachwood.

Haven't used it yet, experimenting with possible set ups.
M7.jpg

fresh brushes in the tin liner, brush washer,wet brushes laying across, box with paints, drink, paper towels -- you see some people hang stuff off their easel like it were a Christmas tree -my goal is to keep it all contained.

Bongo, this is really funny, as I just posted about my full French cheapo easel in the plein air forum. Maybe it should be in this forum?

This looks good and certainly more compact than my set up. I'm one those everything hanging off guys you are talking about. :)

BTW I already broke a clip on that paint box we have. I'm not sure it's any better than just bringing tubes for me. But they do add a lot of weight.

It's fun doing these kind of projects isn't it?

Bongo, this is really funny, as I just posted about my full French cheapo easel in the plein air forum. Maybe it should be in this forum?
Not sure which is the best forum for this topic either.
This looks good and certainly more compact than my set up. I'm one those everything hanging off guys you are talking about. :)
Hey, everybody to their own style - just wear a Santa hat when you paint.( ;))
BTW I already broke a clip on that paint box we have. I'm not sure it's any better than just bringing tubes for me. But they do add a lot of weight.
I think the clips on the box are not placed symmetrically - so if you don't put the lid on the same way it could be slightly out of alignment and break. Mine won't fasten good if I put it on the other way. Also, I'm going to break that thumb clip off and flush it down the toilet.

I went back and forth on the tubes vs paintbox. But once I got use to the paint box, and tired of refilling tubes, I went with the paintbox. Since I pre-load my palette, I only use it in the field when I run out of a particular color, or need one that's not already on my palette. So I don't really use it that often (but want it handy when I do need it).

It's fun doing these kind of projects isn't it?
It is. Maybe too much fun. I just read this quote that hits a little too close to home.

"You can do all sorts of things that are fiendishly clever, then fall in love with them because they're fiendishly clever while overlooking the fact that they take a great deal more work to obtain results that "stupid" people get in half the time. As someone who has created a lot of fiendishly clever but ultimately useless techniques in his day, I'd say this sounds like an example." - Bruce Fraser

I think it looks beautiful. ❤ Just enjoy it however it suits you, it's all good!

Me, I'd be pouncing on some Brasso and polishing up those latches - probably a silly move, because if I got it too pretty I'd never take it back outside. 😅

Thanks for the pictures!

Back