Lucy is a Sky Diamond

john

There was a little cursing involved here.....the yellow streak was one of those happy? accidents where there was a staining green on the brush that wasn't supposed to be there, and in trying to wipe it out I wiped too much and I said to hell with it and then impulsively put the streak in. I have a thing about sun rays that stream out from between clouds. Called crepuscular rays. I like how they remind me of the greater forces. It's what I am trying to go for with these paintings. Nature's waves and rays and forces that give us our lives as the natural beings that we are. Only took 13.7 billion years. I think this painting took that long. The plan was always one step away.

But in addition to simple natural forces there is a narrative here involving one of nature's most complex natural forces, humans. Forged from stars like the carbon in diamonds. Paddling back toward the light. Yearning. Making happy accidents.

Comments and critiques welcome.

11x14 inches watercolor

1675454003263.jpeg

Last edited:
interesting .. makes you stop and look .. the boat would have served the piece better if it were pointed toward the channel. Opinion only, of course.

Last edited:
Love that sky! Same with the overlapping glaze in the water - cool technique artfully deployed.

Oh wow, this is terrific John. I love everything about it! Excellent. Happy accidents and all. Embrace it and how it evolved. ;) ❤️

Beautiful painting. I agree with the others about the overlapping colors - just gorgeous! ❤️

I love happy accidents! The best kind.

This is a lovely work. I disagree with my friend Wayne about the boat being turned toward the channel. The way you rendered it, it is moving towards the other figure. A connection is about to happen. Love it!

With that title you must be looking for a return from the musician or another one. 😁

interesting .. makes you stop and look .. the boat would have served the piece better if it were pointed toward the channel. Opinion only, of course.

Thanks Wayne I think you may be right. It would have been more dynamic. I think I was thinking that there was enough motion and needed some calm level stuff.

Love that sky! Same with the overlapping glaze in the water - cool technique artfully deployed.

Thanks Laika. But I think I got too involved with technique here. I was latching on to a process or "trick" of the concentric looping and transparency. The tricks should not drive a painting but be used by them when needed. It got a little overdone here maybe. But that's why we experiment right? :)

Oh wow, this is terrific John. I love everything about it! Excellent. Happy accidents and all. Embrace it and how it evolved. ;) ❤️

Thanks Ayin. My non-artist friend looked at and said he liked it except for the yellow shaft, and despite all my attempts to dismiss his opinion I must admit that, yeah, that accident was like most accidents........ messy.....LOL.

I love happy accidents! The best kind.

This is a lovely work. I disagree with my friend Wayne about the boat being turned toward the channel. The way you rendered it, it is moving towards the other figure. A connection is about to happen. Love it!

Glad that you like it Terri. My favorite saying about accidents now is.....".When you do shit, shit happens. " :) The only way to avoid it is to not do anything. And that's no fun.

With that title you must be looking for a return from the musician or another one. 😁

LOL, Yeah my previous one was called "Diamond in the sky with Lucy" and this technique seems to leave a diamond shape in the sky so I was running with the idea. I was thinking about how many ways I could play on those words and perhaps do a series around it, but maybe it's too constraining and forced. Fun idea though.

Glad that you like it Terri. My favorite saying about accidents now is.....".When you do shit, shit happens. " :) The only way to avoid it is to not do anything. And that's no fun.
I could not agree more, John! ❤️

Funny how that works.

Back