Learning relaxation thru color...

Speaking of technique being important, take a look at Michael James Smith on YouTube — if you haven't seen his work already. You'll think he is using reference photos in his thumbnails but they are the finished paintings. Goes to show if you know the right technique you can achieve photo realism without having to spend thousands of hours on a painting.

I personally don't get too moved by his work but am in awe of his technical ability and being able to reduce things down to specific techniques to accomplish certain textures.
By the way. The artist I followed along with for this apple painting was Will Kemp. He made it so simple.
Kat, I feel like the effort to rewire my brain after a stroke was greatly aided by creating such "art" as I was able. There is no question that the work and engagement of trying to draw and paint was a great help. My neurology docs agreed. I think that art is therapy whether an individual knows it or not :)

If you watch enough Bob, you'll pick up some useful tips. I don't aspire to paint in his style, but he has interesting techniques.
I am so sorry you had to go thru that (the stroke). The brain is fascinating. Our thought processes are like water. If the flow is impaired in some way, it finds an alternate route to get around the blockage. You just have to give it a chance to work itself out.

I find there's nothing wrong with Bob Ross (I would never laugh at that). He has helped so many people become artists and enjoy art all around.

I am so sorry to hear that you had a stroke, laika. I did not know that. :( I agree that all art is therapeutic and helps to rewire the brain in physical and psychological ways.

And Kat, I also do not have to look at art that is my "cup of tea" to find something in it that fascinates me. I can learn from looking at all work. We are alike. :)

I am so sorry you had to go thru that (the stroke). The brain is fascinating.
Thanks :) I must say that it was very interesting to experience the brain trying to compensate and trying to fix the damage. (For instance, my brain - three years later - still creates visual content that doesn't exist outside of my head in an effort to fill in the field of view that I no longer have) I don't think I'd recommend it, but it really was/is fascinating. I mention it though, to agree with the thoughts you've shared here about the therapeutic side of art.
I am so sorry to hear that you had a stroke, laika. I did not know that. :( I agree that all art is therapeutic and helps to rewire the brain in physical and psychological ways.
Thank you :) Yeah it is what is, I reckon, but it could have been worse. It permanently killed quite a bit of my vision, but on the periphery - you probably have 180 degree field of vision with your two eyes; I have 60 or 70 degrees now, but my central vision is actually pretty good, thank Goodness. I can't drive now (and I ain't too great at walking around, for that matter :LOL:), but, for instance, my betrothed drove me to the library today and I found some cool new art-related books and took a photo of an interesting tree (in the vein of Wayne's recent tree).

But anyway, yeah, that's how the Window Cat became such a thing for me :) He went through several iterations that looked not remotely cat-like. It pleased me no end when people said they liked him and I think he's my only "piece of art" that hangs in someone's home! So yes, art is literally therapeutic as you point out, physically and mentally. Literal positive rewiring!

It's good to hear all these positive "re-wiring" anecdotes. I suppose I've done a lot of that myself and not even realized just how much I've done over the course of my life. I shutter to think how much worse off I'd be if I wasn't making any art.

It's good to hear all these positive "re-wiring" anecdotes. I suppose I've done a lot of that myself and not even realized just how much I've done over the course of my life. I shutter to think how much worse off I'd be if I wasn't making any art.
I agree. My venturing into art was mostly met with disapproval. I hated school, from grade school on. Probably an ADHD thing. Didn't hear a word in class. The teacher would sneak up behind me, confiscate my doodling, and in the trash it went. Not much better at home. I can honestly say that my love for "doodling" is something that does not have to be recognized. It is simply an escape.

I am with you there. It's always been an escape for me, from trauma mostly. My parents either ignored what I was doing fully (as far as me always drawing and painting), or told me I was wasting my time. And school...I never went, so at least I didn't get neglected there. Making art for me, is a huge distraction for my mind because being alone with my thoughts otherwise is dangerous.

I am with you there. It's always been an escape for me, from trauma mostly. My parents either ignored what I was doing fully (as far as me always drawing and painting), or told me I was wasting my time. And school...I never went, so at least I didn't get neglected there. Making art for me, is a huge distraction for my mind because being alone with my thoughts otherwise is dangerous.
You didn't go to school, huh? But you're so well spoken.

The teacher would sneak up behind me, confiscate my doodling, and in the trash it went.
Oh, yes. And Heaven forbid that the confiscated doodle be a caricature of the teacher!
Making art for me, is a huge distraction for my mind because being alone with my thoughts otherwise is dangerous.
That's true for many, and many - from scribblers to accomplished artists - will not hesitate to say so. The creative act seems to a be global engagement of an individual's senses; mind, body, and spirit fully engaged and working in concert.

What a great conversation! Thanks, Kat, for getting the ball rolling :)

Oh, yes. And Heaven forbid that the confiscated doodle be a caricature of the teacher!

That's true for many, and many - from scribblers to accomplished artists - will not hesitate to say so. The creative act seems to a be global engagement of an individual's senses; mind, body, and spirit fully engaged and working in concert.

This forum has been liberating. It has allowed me to reconnect with others. I embraced isolation. Come on, I'm a gay Christian conservative living in the South.That alone is a different path. Might as well drop the rest of my fears and start painting. Right?

By the way, a caricature or the teacher. Man! Why didn't I think of that...

You didn't go to school, huh? But you're so well spoken.
Wow, thank you. I practically had to teach myself to read actually, because I was/am dyslexic. I went to the local library a lot as a kid and did it all very slowly. At my own pace.

This is true. Quite a few artists that have said so inspired me early on to keep going/make art seriously.

I too am very grateful to Kat for creating this thread. :)

Back