Late Introducing Myself

JSparrow

Hello everyone.

I joined CreativeSpark last week, but life happened and I didn’t have a chance to introduce myself until now. I’m from South Louisiana and have done art off and on over the past years but not enough to reach anywhere near the level I wish for. About a year and a half ago we moved to a tiny little houseboat on a little bayou and so I packed my painting supplies into “moth balls” and took a turn learning a little about colored pencils (less space necessary for that.) But now we have recently moved (again) to a house on the edge of a Louisiana swamp and it happens to be big enough to set up a studio again (and an inspiring location to boot!) Now that I have more time and space, I am determined to up my game with my art.

I am so glad I found this forum!

I work mostly with acrylics and oils. I’m also pretty proficient with digital illustration but had to set that aside for our “tiny-home living” too, so I feel super rusty at everything! I am now trying to learn watercolors too, and of course there are the colored pencils. I am crazy meticulous with those, and maybe better at them than painting, but quite slow. I still like painting best.

Oh, and I paint birds! (mostly)

My biggest lack in my skill set is painting the landscape background for my waterfowl.

Anyway, that’s me. I'm usually such a lurker in forums, but I’m hoping to get involved here and get inspired to get better at my art too!
JSparrow (aka Jacqueline)

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing some art from someone who lived on a houseboat on a bayou! Keep an eye out for the ivory-billed woodpecker when you're observing the swamp 🤞
Hey, do you have that accent?

Hey, do you have that accent?
Probably, LOL. I tend to pick up accents when I'm around them. My husband is the born native, but I've been here in Louisiana for 50 years. Loved the houseboat living, but we traded for the edge of the swamp, a larger house for our dogs, and living next door to my eldest daughter. Won't lie, I'm pretty sure my husband chose to move so that I could have more room for my painting though I never complained even once. I loved it.

I've seen a woodpecker outside my window here but didn't identify which one yet. I hear them in the mornings when I take the dogs out. I have this thing where I want to paint all the animals I see here. Except the alligators. I've always loved them but I'm mad at them right now (and not a good story, trust me.) I already have a long list for painting.

Keep an eye out for the ivory-billed woodpecker when you're observing the swamp 🤞
Oh THAT woodpecker! I just looked it up and I remember I've read about him and have hoped to be so lucky! I think about it often, in fact, and hope they are still out there. I just didn't remember the name.

Welcome to Creative Spark, Jacqueline! Happy to have you join us. I love your story about living on the houseboat, what a unique experience. It sounds lovely! ❤️

Glad you're able to have a studio again. Looking forward to seeing your work!

Hello and welcome from Texas, your friendly next door neighbor. Glad you are with us! Next weekend is a huge birding event where you record what types you see in a 15 minute period then report that. Birds & Blooms magazine was where I got the info.

Hi Jacqueline, welcome to the site. We are so glad you found us. :) I am happy to hear you have a studio space again and can't wait to see your work. Your location sounds lovely. I hope you post some of the views out your window too!

Make yourself at home here. ♥️

Hello and welcome from Texas, your friendly next door neighbor. Glad you are with us! Next weekend is a huge birding event where you record what types you see in a 15 minute period then report that. Birds & Blooms magazine was where I got the info.
Hello, neighbor! I'll have to look up that event. Sounds fun. Naturally bird watching goes in hand with painting birds. ;)

Back