Landscape lesson

jmfletch

Started an online course in watercolor landscapes. This was the lesson in using tone for depth of field.
Please feel free to comment, critique or provide constructive criticism.

thanks in advance
Fletch

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 39
This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your classwork. Maybe I can push this into my brain.

Excellent. It can be challenging to get those gradually fading tones as we move further back into a piece, but you just nailed it here. The fact you did this with watercolors deserves a big round of applause! 👏

That sky is beautifully rendered, too. Also noting the little bits of lift in color for the mist, or fog. You did a great job! Looking forward to seeing more from your class. Have fun with it!

Good work. It reminds me to keep in mind the lights and darks of landscape painting, so thank you for that. Beautiful colors! ♥️

Yup- that's what it can look like here.

I always note how here in the mornings, as the mountains further back are lighter, it is their bases- the parts closest to the mountains in front- which are lightest of all.

Very well done

Very well done. I've read for the first time about this technique to give depth to the landscape in an article at the Talens web site. As we go further and further to the back, colors become less saturated, tons are lighter and shapes become fuzzy. You did it in perfection.
:)

Classic, your positive comment came at the perfect time. Motivating me to work on lessons and even retry one of my previous pieces.

Thank you!
Fletch

This came out great! You nailed the idea of getting each layer to be lighter as you go back into the painting. Well done!

Back