June 2023 Watermedia Challenge

This is an experiment on Fluid-Easy Block paper, 140CP, 8 x 11. It is a cellulose paper that I received in a monthly paper selection from Etsy. (Other are cotton.) It is worlds better than Canson XL and Strathmore sletchbook paper, but not up to cotton standards. It was an experiment using only Daniel Smith Moonglow. The paint granulates beautifully into its component R,G,B shades, but I overworked it so and made too many marks with wax resist. It would look much fresher if I did it more quickly with fewer layers.

IMG_0946.jpeg

It’s perfect, Joy!! I’m sure it’s only you that thinks it’s overworked. Your tonal quality is definitely there.

Thank you, Sanlynn! Your version is outstanding; I am a great admirer of your work.

This is an experiment on Fluid-Easy Block paper, 140CP, 8 x 11. It is a cellulose paper that I received in a monthly paper selection from Etsy. (Other are cotton.) It is worlds better than Canson XL and Strathmore sletchbook paper, but not up to cotton standards. It was an experiment using only Daniel Smith Moonglow. The paint granulates beautifully into its component R,G,B shades, but I overworked it so and made too many marks with wax resist. It would look much fresher if I did it more quickly with fewer layers.

View attachment 31644
*perfect*

I got one more done. There was a painting event at a local restaurant pub, 602 Brew Pub. I painted in a Strathmore Journal 9 x 12 inches. It says for dry media, but I have several watercolors in it. Not bad. I've never liked Strathmore pastel paper, so I'm surprised when I try the sketchbooks for watercolor and it sort of works.

The cactus flower. I used my mix of watercolors and the watercolor brushes that hold water. Easier to take to dinner without all the mess. I got 15% off my meal and a free beer, of course I drink wine. It was fun to meet new folks and other artists. I used my mix of watercolor brands with a bit of Ohuhu ink pens and a white Gel pen. Gene went along and listened to a podcast and enjoyed his dinner and visiting, too. He is a good guy to support my art. Has always helped with framing and lugging my stuff to shows.

june-challenge23blooms.jpg

It’s lovely, Jo! Beautiful fresh colours. What an interesting idea for a pub to have, there must be lots of artists where you live. So glad you have Gene to help support your talent and glad to hear he enjoyed the experience as well.

Really nice work- I admire the purple shadows. Your work method for in bars works- plus I would hope *someone* bought you wine while you were there....

Sanlynn, thank you. I'm learning quite a bit about watercolors. I'm not good about studying, lazy I am. Gene has always been great, we are both slowing down now. Not any big shows.

JStarr, thanks. I always like a bit of purple. I did have a couple of glasses of wine and dinner.

JStarr, Jo - thanks for your very kind words!

Jo, that is so lovely and fresh. Amazing that you could get such great blending in a Strathmore journal, as I do not like the paper at all. The pops of the gel pen and the cacti needles are so well rendered. I had some gel pens (Jelly Roll?) from Amazon, and they only wrote a bit and dried up. It did not show up well on the paper. So kudos to you.

Joy, thank you so much. You do watercolor so well. The gel pens are tricky. I think the watercolor has to be really dry. Usually I don't wait long enough and they mix with the watercolor and don't look white. Joan in the Scavenger Hunts uses gel pens a lot.

Joy: Love the squirrel - Love that you only used one color.
Jo: Your colors are so clean and bright! Beautiful job on the cactus - me like - me like! ❤️

Back