Isolating the Essence in my Camera Eyes View

JennieJo

Experimentalist
I've been cropping old photographs to isolated that thing that I was attracted to when I decided to take the pic. An interesting exercise.
20210409_103525-01.jpeg
20211009_071833708-02.jpeg
20220520_082617207.jpeg
20220520_082617207.jpeg
IMG_20220115_200400_980.jpg
IMG_20211226_172351_199.jpg

For some reason, one photo is showing twice in the post, even though only one was uploaded. I have reduced its online screen size.

I've been cropping old photographs to isolated that thing that I was attracted to when I decided to take the pic. An interesting exercise.

Absolutely, Jennie! I do this myself. Sometimes (usually when in a hurry) I will grab an overall scene, so some later cropping out of the "noise" is required to get to the actual subject of interest.

It can be very interesting, especially with final compositions. ;) Good stuff here!

Absolutely, Jennie! I do this myself. Sometimes (usually when in a hurry) I will grab an overall scene, so some later cropping out of the "noise" is required to get to the actual subject of interest.

It can be very interesting, especially with final compositions. ;) Good stuff here!
Thanks Terri. Im doing more severe cropping, than I usually do, now. Talk about changed perspectives.

What I dislike to the digital cameras (at least those I owned and used up to now) is that there is a delay from the moment I press the button to the moment the photo is taken, and very often (especially when I try to take a running scene) the photo doesn't show what I had before my eyes!
In addition, viewing from the screen instead of an optical system adds another delay making things worse.

So this kind of photo contains a random factor: it sometimes contributes to the creativity, or just ruins efforts to take what one exactly wants.

I find the last photo very interesting, because the dancer's body (subject of the original photo, I guess) becomes a secondary element mostly cut out in the final crop, and what is now the subject is the shadow on the floor! We can try to imagine it by looking at that shadow.

The second photo comes perhaps from a dance scene with a great red dress. Just a corner of the photo suggests that dress (nevertheless very vivid and powerful because of the colour), and the remaining gives an idea of the room with the floor and the reflections from the walls and the windows; basic info in a rather minimal version.

The first photo is a real enigma:
Two young women in almost same outfit, with different hair, walking to different directions. The background is full of details, not necessarily relevant, however strange things happen to the extremities of the frame: some parts og the photo seem to be repeated/copied(?), the tube against the building at the left, the pathway strangely distorted, a phantom head at the upper corner,
a light column at the right as well as the pavement border. So, the central subject of the photo (the two girls) is a first mystery, the sides become a further mystery. What is hidden outside this frame???
❓

What I dislike to the digital cameras (at least those I owned and used up to now) is that there is a delay from the moment I press the button to the moment the photo is taken, and very often (especially when I try to take a running scene) the photo doesn't show what I had before my eyes!
In addition, viewing from the screen instead of an optical system adds another delay making things worse.

So this kind of photo contains a random factor: it sometimes contributes to the creativity, or just ruins efforts to take what one exactly wants.

I find the last photo very interesting, because the dancer's body (subject of the original photo, I guess) becomes a secondary element mostly cut out in the final crop, and what is now the subject is the shadow on the floor! We can try to imagine it by looking at that shadow.

The second photo comes perhaps from a dance scene with a great red dress. Just a corner of the photo suggests that dress (nevertheless very vivid and powerful because of the colour), and the remaining gives an idea of the room with the floor and the reflections from the walls and the windows; basic info in a rather minimal version.

The first photo is a real enigma:
Two young women in almost same outfit, with different hair, walking to different directions. The background is full of details, not necessarily relevant, however strange things happen to the extremities of the frame: some parts og the photo seem to be repeated/copied(?), the tube against the building at the left, the pathway strangely distorted, a phantom head at the upper corner,
a light column at the right as well as the pavement border. So, the central subject of the photo (the two girls) is a first mystery, the sides become a further mystery. What is hidden outside this frame???
❓
Thanks for your thoughts.
Some background, I have shaky hands, not always but often, so I take multiple shots when taking dynamic shots. This often helps with getting a shot I like. And I like surprises.

Red ballet dress... just after this 6 year old decided that she couldn't do ballet lessons any more because the teacher shouted all the time. She was very sad.

The shadow, was my greeting dance, showing off tie-dye outfit my husband had created for her.

And, you are right I messed up the top left corner of the last one when I cropped. Didn't have time to crop again :) There was a third dancer cropped from the bottom right. I liked the curves of path lines and the suggestion of curve shapes as the girls danced.

Back