Is it on purpose that we can't edit posts and replies?

When I first post a response, there is an edit link on the bottom left of my posted response. I don't know how long it is available.

Okay, I'm back after responding to another thread and the edit link is still on my previous post, 20 minutes later. We'll see if it stays after I post this.
Editing to say that edit link is still on my previous post even after posting this.

Well, though not very important in most topics, I can imagine if a discussion gets heated, participants could go back and tweak their previous posts. You could erase parts of your post other people already reacted on, which would make for weird reading for people who come later.

Well, though not very important in most topics, I can imagine if a discussion gets heated, participants could go back and tweak their previous posts. You could erase parts of your post other people already reacted on, which would make for weird reading for people who come later.
Exactly. Even if it doesn't get heated, the record of the threads should stay in tact. This is something that all forum software has with a default function at about 10-20 minutes. I think we expanded ours to 30 minutes. If our users feel 30 minutes is not enough time, we can stretch it another 10 minutes if necessary. Let us know.

It's actually a whole hour! If you are a contributing member, you get the ability to edit your posts for up to three hours. ;)

Back