Interior, Florida diner - bromoil print

Terri

Supporting Member
One of the (very) few joys of moving is coming across some of your older work. I recently unearthed some of my bromoil prints.

Bromoil printmaking is another of what is referred to as an “alternative photographic process” that I like to do. I really had to mentally prepare for it before trying my first print, since, even though it’s a fairly straightforward darkroom process, it involves the use of special chemicals, and other cool stuff, from various vendors. I also took my time reading as much as I could find about the process. I prefer being shown first!

You’re basically making a regular silver gelatin print, then bleaching it away (using the afore-mentioned photo chemistry), and bringing it back with stiff lithographic inks. You are also transforming a gelatin silver print into a carbon-based print, thereby increasing its archival properties. (It was quite hugely popular in the first half of the 20th century.)

Diner bromoil resized.jpg

When you are at the point of applying the inks to the print, it's supposed to be done easily on a tabletop, though it can be done underwater to reduce contrast. I was basically terrified so I opted to weight the print in a tray of water and brushed the inks on while submerged. It came out softer than I thought it would - but it's a soft negative to begin with.

It was dark in that diner. We just wandered in to order food and I quickly set up my tripod to shoot this corner while we waited on our order. :LOL: That pinwheel was killing me!

Comments, C&C all welcome! Thanks for looking. :)

Very nice ! I'm sure the joy is in the making of it as much as in the end result . Congrats !

That is lovely and it brings me back to college days of eating burgers and listening to jukebox. Basically just enjoying one's time. Thanks for the memory refresher.

Wow, I didn't know you did bromoils! I salute you for taking on a complicated process and making a fine-looking print with it! I love it!

Erik, Wayne, Lamar and Hermes2020 - thank you all so much for the kind words! I never know how my weird stuff is going to go over. :LOL: I always feel the need to explain it, but never quite sure when to stop.

Lamar, have you dabbled in bromoil at all? You have a pretty fair grasp of several alt processes. :)

Fascinating printing process, you must be an alchemist! :) I'm glad you explain it. I wish more artists gave us the when, where, what, why and how behind their work.
Exactly! That is one of the reasons I love Creative Spark: to learn from others who make art, but also to share my own methods.

I love this! The soft, scratchy effect is gorgeous!!! It looks like an etching/charcoal transfer thing--really, like nothing I've seen before, which is why it's so fricken cool. Great subject matter, as it gives such a nostalgic vibe. You have such an eye Terri. Sometimes you blow my mind. ♥️

Zen, EJH, Arnie, Ayin - thank you all so much. It's so appreciated! ❤️

Yes, the bromoil process can really give that charcoal/etching look. These are very stiff inks out of a can, that get scooped out and spread out on a tile and worked flat with a hard brayer before they're usable. When using a fat, stiff-bristled brush, it takes a few tappings to load the brush. Another method is using a softer roller over the print (after bleaching).

Either way you end up with some bit of texture so similar to charcoal. :)

Beautiful work. I can't imagine the steps you took to render this masterpiece (not having developing skills) but I appreciate your sharing of the process. Fascinating.

What a process! Of course I've never heard of it and when you said "chemistry" it brought back horrible memories from college. 🤣 It's a cool photo, Terri! Thanks for explaining how there's so much more to photography than most of us ever know about.

Thank you, Donna! Yes, there's a deep dive to be had in photography - for me it's always been an art and a science, for analog photography at least. Digital photography is more an art and technology. Either route can get you some great imagery.

In college, for me it was algebra that brought on nightmares! :eek:

Back