In Memory of Musket

Oh, no! What a loss. The work he posted here was beautiful. I'm going to miss him.

Thank you for letting us know, Ayin.

Such sad news. I'm sorry you lost a good friend, Ayin, and so sorry for his family.

Sorry for everyone that knew Steve. He will me missed.

My condolences go out to his partner, for whom he obviously loved very much.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Arty.
I didn't have many interactions with him, but I remember, not so long ago, being particularly gratified when he, for once, unequivocally agreed with me on something.

Sorry to hear this. I didn't know him well but enjoyed seeing his work.

Damn! I knew he facing some health issues and was wondering about him This still comes as a shock. I knew Musket/Steve since the early days of Wetcanvas and we became good friends over the years... even if only online. He will be missed. I will miss him. :cry:

RIP

Oh my god! (I’m shaking.)

My heart goes out to Robbie. I’ve been thinking of him and wondering where he was and if I should check in. We’ve written to each other offline - big long wordy emails - and we had our spits and spats. But we certainly had our sweet spots too. A really great person to share things with. So smart. A special guy.

Wow, this sucks. 😢

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this! I had been wondering about him for a while, since I hadn't seen any posts from him in ages. So sad. :cry:

I'm sad to hear this. I've had several conversations with him over in the
sculpture forum since I joined CS.
I've also been wondering where he was.

I'm sorry to hear this, too. Yes, he is missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

So sorry to hear this. He was such an interesting, knowledgeable and talented person and I always enjoyed reading his posts and seeing his sculpture work. He'll be missed.

I’m very sorry It’s horrible news Condolences to his loved ones and to all those who knew him, sorry for your loss. Admiring his art and reading his words has always been beautiful. His sculptures are incredible, works of rare beauty, among the most beautiful things I have ever admired. Works definitely a reflection of his person.

I always wondered about Steve's moniker here and over on Wetcanvas: Musket? But I never asked him about it. I guess I'll never know. Steve is the second friend from online discussion boards that has passed (that I know of). We had our disputes... but he was one of the best from the old Wetcanvas Debates board and someone whose opinion on music I always valued. I'll miss the interesting performers... especially on guitar... that he frequently introduced me to. :cry:

I want to say this because he’s been on my mind…and it’s my little tribute.

Speaking of monikers…a musket is a male sparrow hawk and I know that’s why he chose it. He loved all them birds! He insisted that I read (we talked about books a lot) JA Baker’s “The Peregrine.” So I did. I have it here and maybe it’s time to reread it again…in his memory.

He also hated emojis. I used to “tease him” by sending myself as a little Bitmoji…a way more obnoxious version. He said I was “zany” and “quirky” and a “tough chick” and I’m sure he must have rolled his eyes with so much of my mishegoss.

Yes, he taught me some Yiddish words, which I’m sure I used wrong. And oh boy, did he like to write! He was a very good pen pal, and because he was so brilliant - and prolific - he left me in the dust. But still, he tolerated me (a mere meshugener?) like the good “gentleman” he was. His word.

I joked that he was my “next door neighbor” (MA and NH) and I might just pop in one day to say hi. (Was trying to scare him and I never would, really). We shared lots of stories (he had more than me), and we disagreed on most of our art tastes. We both loved Arty, though. And we both shared the same kind of politics which got “tangly” once we bumped up against my feminism. So I tried to leave it out of our yakking but he always managed to drag me in (like Al Pacino in The Godfather). I think in the end, in this regard, we exhausted each other.

I last wrote him (2021?) after his beloved Lee died. She was his “little sister” from the Wet Canvas debate forum, known as victorialis. (You can go over to that site, or find another here, to read his gorgeous tribute.) He felt things very, very deeply, and remembered details about his past with such clarity and precision. This was another way we differed. I skim along on the surface, throwing away everything.

In that last email exchange, he asked about my upcoming move to NM and I said “maybe I’ll send you some pretty pictures.” I never did. He once lived here, in Albuquerque, on Lead Street, and of course, I’ll never be able to pass it without remembering him.

I thought of him as a curmudgeon on the outside, with a squishy and kind heart on the inside. Which we discussed.

Just…Oy.

He insisted that I read (we talked about books a lot) JA Baker’s “The Peregrine.” So I did. I have it here and maybe it’s time to reread it again…in his memory.
I bought and read this book after he recommended it in one of his posts. I'd meant to let him know how amazing I thought it was. 😔

Speaking of monikers…a musket is a male sparrow hawk and I know that’s why he chose it. He loved all them birds!

That makes sense.

He insisted that I read (we talked about books a lot)...

Yes. He was one of a small number of members on Wetcanvas who was as passionate about reading as I was... although we had differing tastes. I was into hard-core "classics" while he was more well-versed in various categories of what some might term "genre literature": detective novels, mysteries, ghost stories, horror, etc... Over the years he introduced me to a number of such writers that I truly came to enjoy. We were also both fond of poetry.

He also hated emojis. I used to “tease him” by sending myself as a little Bitmoji…a way more obnoxious version. He said I was “zany” and “quirky” and a “tough chick” and I’m sure he must have rolled his eyes with so much of my mishegoss.

Lol :LOL: I remember making a post here in which I discussed creating Bitmoji's and virtual Bitmoji Classrooms for my students during the time in which we were in lockdown...

ArtTeacherAvatarHomepage.jpg

He absolutely hated the idea and was certain he would have despised it as a student.

Yes, he taught me some Yiddish words, which I’m sure I used wrong. And oh boy, did he like to write! He was a very good pen pal, and because he was so brilliant - and prolific - he left me in the dust. But still, he tolerated me (a mere meshugener?) like the good “gentleman” he was. His word.

I last wrote him (2021?) after his beloved Lee died. She was his “little sister” from the Wet Canvas debate forum, known as victorialis...

Musket and I were both long-time participants in the Debates on Wetcanvas when they could be brutal. But we both came across a good number of brilliant and quirky individuals. Victorialis was one of them. I brought her memory up some years ago having forgotten her online moniker and Musket reminded me of her.

In that last email exchange, he asked about my upcoming move to NM and I said “maybe I’ll send you some pretty pictures.” I never did. He once lived here, in Albuquerque, on Lead Street, and of course, I’ll never be able to pass it without remembering him.

I thought of him as a curmudgeon on the outside, with a squishy and kind heart on the inside. Which we discussed.

Just…Oy.

Indeed. :cry:

Back