Images or discussions

N

Nufocus

Over at WC (Wetcanvas.com, for those who don’t know) one could see how many VIEWS their thread received, in addition to the number of replies. Over here one can only see the replies. And as it is simply “human nature”, it appears that discussions, such as “What are you working on now” or “what are you listening to” get much much more attention than individuals’ threads containing images of their works. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it a discouraging factor that prevents talented people from showing their creations?
Opinions please.

I enjoy both but of course it is very nice to have our images seen, isn't that the only reason we post them? If no one looks at them, then what's the use in putting them online? I agree with you, it does seem as if they don't get as much notice as the discussions, but it seems to be the norm. 🤷‍♀️

Over at WC (Wetcanvas.com, for those who don’t know) one could see how many VIEWS their thread received, in addition to the number of replies. Over here one can only see the replies. And as it is simply “human nature”, it appears that discussions, such as “What are you working on now” or “what are you listening to” get much much more attention than individuals’ threads containing images of their works. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it a discouraging factor that prevents talented people from showing their creations?
Opinions please.
I am a little confused (nothing new), but I see the number of 'views' listed under the number of 'replies' for each thread here on this site.

I agree that the discussion threads seem to have a lot more interest and activity than replies and comments to specific posts, and I find that slightly discouraging, but I put it down to the trait in human nature, as you say, that nothing is more interesting than what I am saying or doing, sort of like a selfie nowadays.
However, there are some good informative parts in the general blather that make it mostly worthwhile.

Just my very humble opinion.

I feel like the site in general is kind of dying, but I don't like to compare it to WC because that was never what I was trying to do from the outset. I also can't see what's on WC because I am permanently banned there.

I can see the views and replies, so maybe you don't have something turned on, or maybe it's different with the phone than with the computer...I'll have to check that out.

Discussions might have more views and replies because there's something more concrete to discuss. If artists are posting their work and want a specific type of feedback, they should be clear about what they're after (if they want opinions, or specific types of opinions--i.e.: how does this make you feel? or I am trying to portray this feeling, is it coming across? or is the green too bright on this?, etc.). Just a suggestion. I personally am open and don't care what anyone has to say or not say when I post--good or bad. I can take it. I don't put "C&C welcome," but maybe I should. I suppose I feel like it's a given. We can start making that more clear though. I can do that. ;)

With almost every work posted here I see little niggle things that imo should be fixed or could have been handled better. - which also is mostly true about every work of art. But is that useful to point out? do people really want to here that? At what point would you become a boring ass - pretty soon I would think.

Likewise is it useful to pile on another three word compliment already expressed by a half dozen or more. I remember when I was in first grade, every year before valentine's day we would have to make little heart cards - one for each member of the class and then pass them out on V day. So you pass out 20 cards and come home with a stack of 20 cards (scraps of construction paper actually) -- so that's how I sorta feel here - I feel both thankful to get a pat on the back, and obligated to give one in return. Not, that it's not deserved it just seems kind of perfunctual. In some ways makes me dread coming here.

With almost every work posted here I see little niggle things that imo should be fixed or could have been handled better. - which also is mostly true about every work of art. But is that useful to point out? do people really want to here that? At what point would you become a boring ass - pretty soon I would think.
I would like that very much actually.

I think that in the discussions, maybe the general ones there is more question and answer, personally seeing the works, admiring the work of the users of the site is the most beautiful thing, but also the thing that intimidates the most, maybe you appreciate something (it applies to me in all discussions of art, works published by users or technical discussions) but you are not up to saying how much you would like and then you are skimpy or jump, at times I look with my phone, without connecting and then returning from the computer and commenting how much I appreciated that work, sometimes it happens that I forget to come back connected (it happened to me on wetcavans (there I liked to recover the galleries I had lost and post with tutorials, forums on media or topics I tried to follow, topics and media that I found closer or that I was passionate about, after a change of site the archives have disappeared, saved links no longer lead to anything so wetcavans no longer use it to search or review things, I think it's just for what happens after the passage of the site, before I thought of using it instead of google) and here)

All of the above--except for the iphone--I don't use one...Arty, you think Creativespark is dying? I hope not. It takes a while for things to grow.
Part of what made WC so wonderful was the input of others, the critiques and the pats.. I don't feel I should crit OPs work if they don't ask, and if I do suggest something different, remember, it's MY OPINION, and I'm a beginner. I have NO idea about abstract or some contemporary work.

Bongo said, "With almost every work posted here I see little niggle things that imo should be fixed or could have been handled better. - which also is mostly true about every work of art. But is that useful to point out? do people really want to here that? At what point would you become a boring ass - pretty soon I would think."
I'm still a "new" painter, though I've been doing it a while I have a lot to learn. P. Barrie criticized one of my works, which was very helpful, and I appreciate it. He pointed out some things I couldn't see, and my next version was much improved because of it. I'm one of those who often need a second and third set of eyes.
This list was on WC some time ago. I don't have it out, but I try to remember various items. In my recent one, I worked to portray mood and be aware of composition. I tried to be aware of values and perspective. I wanted it to be recognizably realistic--it was a painting of the GD playing with the dog in the backyard, and started with a gesture drawing of them.
I think it portrays a playful mood on a cold, sunny morning. Those buildings are there, some were left out(I'm finally learning to do that!). I included more detail, and as I progressed, it didn't look right without adding this, or that. I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did, and I'm pleased. Sometimes, details are important. Next time, it will be better! :)
Use these lists if they'll help, they're still there.
"Giving Critique - a Check List for Critiquers" Author: Henrik_Lindberg, Contributing Editor
https://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/509/168/
I do want and need your crits. I may not agree, but will consider each one and work to understand why you said that, and use them (or not) in future pieces.

I see the views as well but mostly find them useless.

As for discussions vs photos of work. Well the discussions seem to go on longer so people keep replying. There’s really only so much that one person can say about a piece of art without it going off topic.
Also as for my self I'll admit I'm more likely to comment in discussions. Most of you are a lot better artists then I am. I’m here to learn from the rest of you and greatly appreciate all the advice I get on my work. But at the same time I find most of the work posted here and other places to be so good that I usually just don't have any advice I can give.
Hopefully as I learn more and improve I'll be able to be more helpful.

Those are the exact kinds of comments I post my work to receive. I don't always fix them but I'll usually try to keep it in mind to improve future paintings.

about what bongo said, about advice, criticism,
Bongo, personally I think that every indication, criticism, is something precious, an act of generosity (even the harshest criticisms I think are always gladly accepted because they are made to help not to offend, this site is wonderful because there are exceptional people and artists, wetcavans was wonderful because there were and had been artists with incredible talent and who had been really generous with their contribution), that is, I think it is important and therefore appreciated, a precious gift, I looked for a forum, I signed up on wetcavans to post my attempts, hoping to receive criticism, advice, free opinions, I had never posted before, so I signed up for that, to interact in the forums and primarily in the drawing forum that class101 had, with artist moderating each post, so you could receive criticism about what you published, a judgment, years ago they were very popular, that is, they had, like, a duration, they were born as classes, when I I am no longer registered, but there were two moderators who are also 2 incredibly talented artists and they kept them all alive, they did a great job (sometimes you were really afraid of disturbing so first you saw on the questions asked by others and then you asked yourself) , in that part of the forum you could count on criticism, advice, then the site changed, so after a while all these posts that I said were gone or there were a couple left but almost every page was gone, even the nickname of one of the artists who moderated, especially sorry that all this has disappeared because it was really an incredible work that had accumulated and then in all the forums there were therefore incredible galleries. every page of that site was an asset to be protected in reality, and any criticism would have been welcome, for how structured you knew that you could only be grateful if someone had seen what you posted, and even more grateful if someone had decided to respond to what you published (internet for good how many flaws, like everything, but wecavans was not a place with trolls or with people who use your nickname to say bad things, or who say you make up, what you do is horrible doing nothing to whom drawing and art do not like and do not, if we talk about art but in general, but they write just to troll), wrote people with connection, incredible artists)

Creative Spark, in my opinion is a happy island, brings back to life among the most beautiful things of wetcavans, on both forums if I received a comment or view it is from those who have a passion for art and also immense talent, if someone sees what drawing my instinct is just to feel guilty and to apologize, every comment, advice so it has always been something precious, a great gift given by those I esteemed or ended up valuing very much.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with c&c, but it does depend on the spirit in which they are intended.

We have nothing to fear if they are meant in a spirit of goodwill.

Oh, those happy pills...

I agree. There hasn't been anyone here that would give a (harsh--if necessary) critique that wasn't in good spirits for the purpose of helping. I think it's all been safe and sound thus far. :)

Snoball, Maybenartist thank you very much for the nice words. Yes, the comments, the criticisms, I think they are a gift received, thanks again.

Back