Image Sizes

M

Mullanphy

What is maximum image size for upload?

After several re-sizings, the platform says a .jpg @ 576 X 576 pixels, 72 dpi and file size of 972 KB is still too large.

It shouldn't be too large. I thought we set it to 1000 max, or even more, like 1300. I'll check on that. Thanks for the heads up.

There is not a pixel maximum, but there is a limit on the overall size of the file. 2000 KB is the maximum size. That is pretty large at 72 DPI. If your image is 300 DPI, it might be a problem. Images for the web should be in 72 DPI, as computer screens can not show more than 72 DPI on the web regardless.

The western still life I posted was horribly out of line. I didn't pay any attention when I posted it and just now checked. It is 8.90M, 2160 wide and 230 px per inch. Yet it posted.

I tried not to put any limitations on the file sizes. We bought a ton of space for the server. I am not sure what's going on with Mullanphy. :(

I will need to check into it more.

Should be. You can choose to post full-size images or thumbs. Whichever you prefer. :)

OK. I have a question, if anybody knows.

In the quarantine thread, my potatoes were too big! But I think a thumbnail would have been too small. On TOS, I usually posted images at 400-600 pixels wide but I’d have to go downstairs and use a different computer and resize them via a photo editing program. Good enough.

But, because I’m on this iPad 24/7, I’d rather resize on here quickly, and be done. I guess Safari/Apple wants you to select an aspect ratio when you edit a picture but I‘m not understanding what pixel or inch size this translates to in the end.

So...does anybody know which aspect ratio corresponds most closely to an image that’s 400-600 pixels wide?

Olive... why not just download a photo-editing app? That's what I use on my iPad. It's especially needed for any photos I take myself on my iPhone because these are absolutely enormous.

I tried but I don’t have enough room. Everything is stripped back to the bare bones right now and I’m looking into getting something bigger than this device with 16GB. Don’t understand GB and MB and whatevers. Or aspect ratios...

Most smart phones have their own photo editing software built right into the camera app.

Safari/Apple wants you to select an aspect ratio when you edit a picture but I‘m not understanding what pixel or inch size this translates to...
Think of the aspect ratio as the shape of the image. An aspect ratio needs width and height. So you can't say what the aspect ratio of a 400 to 600 pixel wide image is without knowing the height.

A comfortable maximum image width around here is probably 900 pixels. But if you upload something larger than 1000 pixels wide the image will be fit into the 1000 pixel space of the thread.

Hmmm. I see my potato picture in Photos, and when I choose Edit, I have all the aspect ratio options available. When I choose any one of them, I see how they change the shape of the picture. Fine. But am I missing where the height appears? I don’t see anything that gives me an option to size by either inches or by pixels. And I don’t see any notated size on the actual photo itself. Maybe Apple just doesn’t do it this way and I HAVE TO download a resizer app thing.....?

Okay. All this time later...I’m pretty sure from what I just researched is that Apple does NOT show you the pixel size ANYWHERE. People have complained and whined about it in the “Apple Community.” This seems like a dumb omission. But...if I try to email the picture to myself, then I can see size options like 28.1KB, 289KB, blah blah blah. Meaningless! I want pixels or inches. There are workarounds that take like, days to do. Might as well just walk downstairs and use THAT computer. Oh well...when/if I get my new improved iPad, I’ll just make sure I download a proper sizing app.

In the meantime, be prepared for some big old honking pictures. I mean, I don’t want to use up more space than I need inside your brand new and wide open, pristine cyberspace fields but at least...I’m not hogging as much as space as David does! ;)

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Olive, do you have iCloud or some such comparable service. I currently have 48,000+ pictures accessible through my iPad... but most of these are stored on the cloud saving space on the device. Of course, 16G is pretty small by this point. My phone has 64G and my iPad has 128G... and both are two years old. I usually get a deal (20% off) as a teacher and I absolutely need the memory for school (as we are looking at the possibility of online classes in the Fall) and as a means of having access to a vast library of reference images to use when in the studio.

ps... You are right. I'm not seeing anywhere that allows you to edited scale by pixels like you can easily do using the most basic Paint program on a PC. :(

Last edited:
forse ci vuole un'app allora.
Io sul cellulare per lo stesso motivo per cui ho installato
Photo & Picture Resizer, (su iOS forse questo non c'è, ma alla fine saranno gli stessi o migliori che fanno la stessa cosa)
se rimpicciolisco più foto, non posso sostituirle o non riesco a scattarle, scattando una foto alla volta, sostituisco l'originale con uno che occupa poco.

forse ci vuole un'app allora.
Io sul cellulare per lo stesso motivo per cui ho installato
Photo & Picture Resizer, (su iOS forse questo non c'è, ma alla fine saranno gli stessi o migliori che fanno la stessa cosa)
se rimpicciolisco più foto, non posso sostituirle o non riesco a scattarle, scattando una foto alla volta, sostituisco l'originale con uno che occupa poco.
maybe it takes an app then.
Me on the phone for the same reason I installed it
Photo & Picture Resizer, (on iOS maybe this is not there, but in the end they will be the same or better that do the same thing)
if I shrink multiple photos, I can't replace them or I can't take them, taking one photo at a time, I replace the original with one that takes up little.

When you post a photo in this forum, I have found that if you click on it (before posting) the little squares appear on the corners of the photo and you can drag one of the corners toward the center and it will resize your photo before you post reply.

When you post a photo in this forum, I have found that if you click on it (before posting) the little squares appear on the corners of the photo and you can drag one of the corners toward the center and it will resize your photo before you post reply.

Even I didn't know that! :ROFLMAO:

ps... You are right. I'm not seeing anywhere that allows you to edited scale by pixels like you can easily do using the most basic Paint program on a PC. :(

For computer screen images - multiple the inch dimensions by 72 and you'll have the pixel dimensions. So if your image is 4" x 5" that equals a pixel dimension of 288 x 360 pixels.

For aspect ratio divide the longer dimension by the smaller dimension. So a 4"x5" image would have an aspect ratio of
1.25. also written as 1.25:1 Note that it doesn't matter if your image is portrait or landscape - 4" x 5" or 5"x 4" the aspect ratio is still 1.25

Back