I decided to move to solvent/medium safety.

L

Lazarus

By now i used simple linseed oil, dammar var, and terp and it works very well.
since here in israel people are living 70 years late, there are not that much options brands (even liquin that some stores were holding, i cant find anymore :D)
what are the safe options to use with gamblin materials? since this is the better optionright now.
if anyone already using safety solvent/mediums i would like to learn.
btw im not holding any card to buy this is why my options to order from outside is not valid.
thank you.

"I decided to move to solvent/medium safety"
Oh, you switched to watercolors?
(Sorry, couldn't resist...🤣)

I have never tried that, but I know many of our members have. You might want to cross post your question to the Oil Painting forum.

Oil of spike lavender is a solvent, not a medium, though it can be used as an inrgedient in mediums. It's a bit more aggressive than turps, smells nice and is expensive.

All solvents for oil painting are toxic to some degree.

Oil of spike lavender is a solvent, not a medium, though it can be used as an inrgedient in mediums. It's a bit more aggressive than turps, smells nice and is expensive.

All solvents for oil painting are toxic to some degree.
Indeed. bcz orange contains vitamin C it doesnt mean you should eat 100 per day. susbstence are toxic as long as plants, which are drugs at some way.
As i mentioned, right now im using terp and dammar which are way toxic than organic solvent. i just found the lavender lately and ture it is expensive.

Dangers: GHS-US classification Flam. Liq. 3! ! ! ! H226-Flammable liquid and vapor
Skin Irrit. 2! ! ! ! H315-Causes skin irritation
Skin Sens. 1 ! ! ! ! H317-May cause an allergic skin reaction
STOT SE 2! ! ! ! H371-May cause damage to organs
Asp. Tox. 1! ! ! ! H304-May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways
Aquatic Acute 2! ! ! ! H401-Toxic to aquatic life
Aquatic Chronic 2!! ! ! H411-Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects

It acts as linseed oil does. The medium you describe suggests you paint in layers. I began this way, but I now paint direct with only the slightest touch of linseed or walnut.

One artist that comes to mind that uses only walnut oil is 'Morgan Weisling". If you Google his work you'll see the quality that can be obtained with just this medium.

There seems to be some confusion here about solvents versus mediums. Straight walnut oil can be used as a medium. But walnut oil isn't a solvent in the sense that turps, OMS or oil of spike is. That being said, Robert Doak developed a method of cleaning brushes with safflower oil, but I never tried it.

Many people just use paint straight from the tube with no added medium. But this wouldn't work well for all applications. I don't think it would work at all well with OH paints; they're just too stiff out of the tube.

I don't think Walnut oil is any less toxic than Linseed oil.

For cleaning brushes - actually, you don't have to. Just wipe them off then dip in safflower oil and lay them flat. The safflower oil will keep the paint from drying on your brush. To use, just wipe off the safflower oil and go. I haven't cleaned a brush in over a month and I paint almost every day.

There seems to be some confusion here about solvents versus mediums. Straight walnut oil can be used as a medium. But walnut oil isn't a solvent in the sense that turps, OMS or oil of spike is. That being said, Robert Doak developed a method of cleaning brushes with safflower oil, but I never tried it.

Many people just use paint straight from the tube with no added medium. But this wouldn't work well for all applications. I don't think it would work at all well with OH paints; they're just too stiff out of the tube.
Yes. it isn't solvent but if the walnut medium will work well for my propose it might be a good replacment.
For cleaning brushes i use only safflower and soap, maybe it takes more time to clean but it isn't damage the brushes.

Back