Heron with Young

Scamall

Supporting Member
F0EC891A-BC88-400A-B040-C6AED62ABBA8.jpeg

Please seriously critique! Micron with colored pencil 20x30 on illustration board.

Scamall this is fantastic! I love the illustrative quality to it, and the muted palette. Great detail on those feathers! I also like how the branches frame the adult bird and the chicks. I would happily hang this on my wall. :)

This is beautiful. I know the parent bird is the focus but they seem to be almost lost. Maybe in real life they show up more clearly.

This is beautiful. The overlapping feathers are amazing. Love the shading of the neck. The little chicks are delightful, especially the hungry one. Good texture on the bark of the tree as well.

Beautifully drawn, delicate and sensitive work … so well observed.
I understand Deborah’s point about the chicks and maybe a flight darkening of the grass behind would bring them out a little … but sometimes, not everything has to be obvious or seen at first glance. It’s also part of the natural world that creatures blend in with their surroundings ( except for humans!!😂)
If I have one very slight crit, it would be to make the base at the left a touch wider for better balance.
But seriously, excellent!

I can agree with the observations already made, BUT would have to say that IRL the chicks would be as camouflaged as possible, so for me this points more to realism.

And the detail work on the feathers and especially on the twigs is jaw-droppingly good. Excellent work, Scamall!

Thank you all. I think the line of the background tree mirrors the heron’s back too much. I meant for the young to be camouflaged but it’s a trade off to make them noticed to the viewer. I do think darkening behind them would help (that’s supposed to be trees below the nest as great blue herons often nest high 🤣). I see that about the base. Do you think I might darken the branch going off to the left a bit?

Delicate and beautifully done!!
Btw, I’ve been wondering about your screen name: Scamall?!?….🤓🤓

Thank you all. I think the line of the background tree mirrors the heron’s back too much. I meant for the young to be camouflaged but it’s a trade off to make them noticed to the viewer. I do think darkening behind them would help (that’s supposed to be trees below the nest as great blue herons often nest high 🤣). I see that about the base. Do you think I might darken the branch going off to the left a bit?
first off, this is gorgeous!!! ❤️

the first thing i noticed to critique you already picked up on... the tree following the heron's back, but that is really nit picking lol. i agree darkening the branch will bring the young birds forward, but it won't take much. just a bit more contrast between the two. they may be camouflaged in nature, but its ok to claim artistic license and show off your marvelous handiwork! ;)

Lol, sorry for reading grass instead of distant trees! Duh! Not thinking!!

Re the widening of the base ... I think I'd extend that beautiful white on dark tracery drawing a little, rather than the higher dark branch ..... everywhere else, the drawing traces delicately into the 'frame', just lower left has a sharper division.
I too noticed the mirroring of tree and bird but decided too much work had gone into it to suggest change! You could ruin it .... just something to remember another time!😃

Fresh eyes always see things the creator might miss ... we have so much invested in our own pieces we often miss bits that might be obvious to others.

My serious critique? This is amazing! I don't see anything that needs a change. I think you should put a pin in it and try for another masterpiece.

Thank you all, I will continue to work on composition as that appears to be where most if the critique is directed—of course skills, too!

Absolutely beautiful drawing, the line work is super.
On critical inspection I do agree about the lines of the heron's back / the tree, and also that the chicks might benefit from a little more 'picking out' from the background. There is overall a lot of mid-tone, so I'm wondering if a little more dark (especially against key light areas) might work.
However, if I had produced this, I would be very reluctant to fiddle with it now and risk ruining it, as it's basically really really good!

Back