Heresy or inexperience?

Bartc

After longing for Terri Ludwigs for two years I finally got a set - just one color range mind you, cool greens. I've only done one painting in which I used them so far, but I'm not sure I like them! Heresy?

Seem too soft, too subdued in color, even crumbly in some cases. This is not at all what I expected. Was expecting a strong stick with rich color that felt buttery or creamy as described all over. Didn't feel like any of those to me.

Could be I have just chosen the wrong colors (seemed like what I have been missing) or maybe I just need to try them some more.

I started with Sennelier, which I have liked a lot, except for the wide variability in hardness. Tried Diane Townsend and wasn't impressed. I'm certainly using Richeson's and they're all right, but damn small for the money. Mt. Visions seem like a good deal and pretty good so far. Workhorses. Unisons seem quite good. Was expecting TL to be really top of the line or damn close and so far no joy.

Is it the pastels or is it me or what?

I like Ludwig dark colors and reds. I have had some crumbling. If you are having problems with all it may be a bad batch. They would probably send you another set. They did for a friend of mine.

I like Daler-Rowney. Haven’t bought any new ones in ages. Holbein are nice.

All are expensive. Sigh.

Have fun.

The best part of the Terri Ludwigs for me are the intense darks. I haven' found another brand that can make such rich and strong dark colors. The sticks rub of very easily (very soft) but I don't care as I use them only in some spots of my paintings where I want to have very strong darks or especially the color they have (I have also some other besides the intense darks).

Sorry you were underwhelmed by your new purchase, Bart. That's always a disappointing feeling. If you haven't had the Terri Ludwigs long, then I hope there's a chance you'll start to find them more useful as you play around with them.

Unisons would have been my shout to meet your description (particularly the stick strength, they're about the only pastels I don't break!), but it sounds like you're looking for something a grade above those.

I'd be a bit cautious about your expectations, as I'm not sure there's as much of a wow factor above the Unisons and Senneliers as you might be wanting, but I do hope you find a brand that works for you.

The best part of the Terri Ludwigs for me are the intense darks. I haven' found another brand that can make such rich and strong dark colors. The sticks rub of very easily (very soft) but I don't care as I use them only in some spots of my paintings where I want to have very strong darks or especially the color they have (I have also some other besides the intense darks).
That's the set I didn't buy! Already had 3 sets of darks, so went for a color range that I was missing, Cool Greens. First disappointment was that they seemed subdued compared to the colors on my screen from which I ordered them (and that's on multiple sites.) One or two were crumbly even as I started lifting them to transfer to my pastel box. I've actually used them on two paintings and found the colors not really strong in intensity and didn't find any particular "buttery" feel that has so often been described. These are not counterfeits, having come from a reputable supply house. Maybe I just bought the wrong set.

Sorry you were underwhelmed by your new purchase, Bart. That's always a disappointing feeling. If you haven't had the Terri Ludwigs long, then I hope there's a chance you'll start to find them more useful as you play around with them.

Unisons would have been my shout to meet your description (particularly the stick strength, they're about the only pastels I don't break!), but it sounds like you're looking for something a grade above those.

I'd be a bit cautious about your expectations, as I'm not sure there's as much of a wow factor above the Unisons and Senneliers as you might be wanting, but I do hope you find a brand that works for you.
Yes, beginning to think that the hype may not live up to the expectations. Now I'll be extra cautious in purchasing, as though I weren't already!
What's bothering me is that I don't have a local live source to see/feel the real deal other than for Rembrandts (a brand I don't particular care for.) So I'm stuck taking others' word for the experience with different brands and researching/buying online. This is clearly not ideal in pastel, unfortunately. I'm sure I'm not alone in this dilemma.

Bart, I still think you should check with Ludwig. They pay attention and may switch them for you.

That's the set I didn't buy! Already had 3 sets of darks, so went for a color range that I was missing, Cool Greens. First disappointment was that they seemed subdued compared to the colors on my screen from which I ordered them (and that's on multiple sites.) One or two were crumbly even as I started lifting them to transfer to my pastel box. I've actually used them on two paintings and found the colors not really strong in intensity and didn't find any particular "buttery" feel that has so often been described. These are not counterfeits, having come from a reputable supply house. Maybe I just bought the wrong set.
Unfortunately I can't say much about the differences from the Terri Ludwigs to the other brands you have. I have Senneliers, Giraults and Schminckes sticks and Caran'd Ache pencils but no other brands. I would like to try Unisons, but they are difficult to get here. So I can't say if the intense darks from Terri Ludwig are better than the dark sets you have.

You're not alone, and I've become a bit of a grouch about online reviews. When I've tried most products that get widely described 'buttery', it just makes me wonder what the hell other people are putting on their toast. It's also a nuisance that giving opinions that go against the grain on certain brands can feel, as you say, akin to heresy - so I keep pretty quiet about the stuff other people love and I don't.

Sorry not to have any solutions for you, but I definitely do sympathise!

Heresy! Just kidding, Bart. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new colors. I hope you can exchange them if they truly won't work for you. LIke Triss said, reviews aren't always that helpful and what's buttery to some might be downright greasy to another. I have a few Ludwig darks that I honestly hardly ever use (more heresy) and a small landscape set that I like. I only use them as the absolute last layers because of their super-softness.

Back