Heading out bush

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks. A WIP but I think I am very close to done. I have been playing with it for far too long. I've changed bits too many times. From a photo in Western Australia (wheatbelt area). About 35x35cm, soft pastels, mostly Sennelier, some Rembrandt on Canson MT smooth side. Frustrating, the photo was early morning with mist in the distance, I have tried with mist along the road, but the light balance did not work, so I had to take it away and rework it.... now there is a "misty" fade into the distance. I found my foregrounds were too intense to give a realistic misty morning - ahhh well.
The colour is closer than usual as I used my camera rather than the phone. Thanks for any thoughts.

IMG_0430-b.jpg

Oh, I love it! All these rich colors - like a pathway to fairyland. Can I step inside??? ❤️

It might have taken a different direction but it turned out beautifully, Murray! The square format was a good choice for this gorgeous forest scene.

Hi Jo, Sno and Iain. Thanks so much for the thoughts, it means a lot and is super encouraging.

It might have taken a different direction but it turned out beautifully, Murray! The square format was a good choice for this gorgeous forest scene.
Hi Donna. The square format was a late decision. It was originally a standard portrait size 32x41cm but I quickly saw that the foliage dominated. So I masked off at the foreground down to the mid foreground foliage. Turns out it focuses the scene far better. The track out there in the Wheatbelt are red-pink-orange soils and it contrasts with the greens of the bush soooo well. The goldfields are even more stunning. I would love to go there again for some pleinair, but that is a dream I think - Ah well. Thanks for all the comments.

Back