Hard Pentel Oil Pastels?

Rich53

Sheer curiosity question:

I found these – open stock – in an art store on Long Island (since closed). The price was right, so I bought several sets of all the colors available.

I’m wondering if anyone here has any more info on them – the Pentel site doesn't seem to. They are harder than the usual Pentel oilies, about 2″ long, and 3/8″ square. The only info I have is what’s written on the sides. The fourth side has the number and name, the same as the second side.

1660611428110.jpg

Thanks,
--Rich

Last edited:
Fascinating! These look like very old stock - certainly nothing like the little round Pentels I have.

Sorry I have nothing useful to add. If the Pentel site has no info, they could be discontinued stock. A quick peek on eBay might be revealing.

I have three 52pc. sets of these. I like them but don't use them often. I have combined them w Derwent Drawing pencils (the creamy colored ones).
I don't use them often, either. I used them for the threshold and lintel in "The Gate":

https://creativespark.art/threads/the-gate.4344/

They were firm enough to give the straight and solid look to the stones.

I picked up about 50 colors. Do you have the original box? I'm wondering what Pentel called them. (Probably not "Pentel Hard Square Pastels"! 😉)

Thanks,
--Rich

Yes I have one of the original boxes left. It is black and unremarkable except for the writing "52 colors" and "For Artist PENTEL D.N.B. CO. LTD" on the front cover. No other copy anywhere else.. I'm assuming there may have originally been some sort of leaflet included when they were new, but none of mine came that way.

Yes I have one of the original boxes left. It is black and unremarkable except for the writing "52 colors" and "For Artist PENTEL D.N.B. CO. LTD" on the front cover. No other copy anywhere else.. I'm assuming there may have originally been some sort of leaflet included when they were new, but none of mine came that way.
Thank you very much!
Now I'm going to have fun figuring out what D. N. B. means! ("Dat's Not Blonde"?) 🤣

--Rich

Back