Greetings from the east coast USA!

TamPaints

Mostly Illustration
Hi all! I've been looking for a place to connect with others about art, and on a whim I decided to see what forums were out there. This seems like a great, welcoming community, and I'm excited to join it!

A little bit about me, I am a designer from the east coast that decided they wanted to learn how to draw and paint. I went to art school to learn commercial design and illustration, but they didn't really teach us art fundamentals that well. I started learning those myself in 2020 since I had so much time on my hands. Three years later and it's been a long and difficult journey but I feel so much more confident in my art. It was absolutely worth it.

Now I make original illustrations and turn them into cross stitch designs as a hobby. You can see some of my recent works attached!

I saw that there was a recommendation to keep abbreviations at a minimum, which is no problem from my side. Is there anything else I should be aware of for posting on this forum?

Attachments

• creativespark comps tampaints.jpg
    creativespark comps tampaints.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 67
  • creativespark comps tampaints2.jpg
    creativespark comps tampaints2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 56
  • creativespark comps tampaints3.jpg
    creativespark comps tampaints3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 55
  • creativespark comps tampaints4.jpg
    creativespark comps tampaints4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 54
  • creativespark comps tampaints5.jpg
    creativespark comps tampaints5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 52
Is there anything else I should be aware of for posting on this forum?
If you've read the rules and abide by them, that should about cover it! :)

Welcome to the forum - your work is just beautiful. I hope you keep posting and sharing here. Have fun!

Thank you all for the replies! I think learning the fundamentals like perspective, form, and lighting made a massive difference in how I feel about my work. It was hard to find good resources about it, but once I did I was able to learn at a great pace.

I shared my latest piece in the digital art forum. I hope that was the correct place. I'll keep looking through the forum and see if there are any other relevant areas to post art for critique.

Welcome aboard Tam! It's great to have you and your amazing work part of our little family. Please make yourself at home and post as often as you wish. We are a friendly bunch. You are very talented! ♥️

I am a designer from the east coast that decided they wanted to learn how to draw and paint. I went to art school to learn commercial design and illustration, but they didn't really teach us art fundamentals that well.

Unfortunately, a good many art schools fail to teach much by way of practical skills in drawing paintings and that is involved in these. They often focus far too much upon Art Theory and Art Criticism and not too much upon what they seemingly dismiss as "mere craft". I was lucky enough to attend an art school that in some ways was quite conservative and thus placed a great deal of emphasis upon the foundations of drawing, painting, design, and art history... especially during the first two ("Foundation") years. Even then, I would have greatly benefitted from more in-depth education/training in painting techniques during my latter years in school. But perhaps, being "self-taught" in developing your own artistic vision and vocabulary is an essential part of every artist's experience.

Anyway, welcome to the group. :) 🎨🖌️

I am a designer from the east coast that decided they wanted to learn how to draw and paint. I went to art school to learn commercial design and illustration, but they didn't really teach us art fundamentals that well.

Unfortunately, a good many art schools fail to teach much by way of practical skills in drawing paintings and that is involved in these. They often focus far too much upon Art Theory and Art Criticism and not too much upon what they seemingly dismiss as "mere craft". I was lucky enough to attend an art school that in some ways was quite conservative and thus placed a great deal of emphasis upon the foundations of drawing, painting, design, and art history... especially during the first two ("Foundation") years. Even then, I would have greatly benefitted from more in-depth education/training in painting techniques during my latter years in school. But perhaps, being "self-taught" in developing your own artistic vision and vocabulary is an essential part of every artist's experience.

Anyway, welcome to the group. :) 🎨🖌️
Very true! It's unfortunate to not get a good enough base from education, but thankfully there are some really incredible resources out there that are easily accessible these days.

Also, thank you Sno and Jo! :D

Back