Gel pen ,watercolor doodle

Flowercat

While watching some youtube, i decided to sketch a bit,wiht gel pens.
I liked them so i decided to color them in wiht metallic watercolor.
Here is a face i made. I didnt use a refrence.
Im recently trying to get better at humans
Critics are always welcome
_20220817_160914.JPG

She's great! What character you captured here. ❤️ I love this - nice work, Flowercat!

Pretty cool!
One thing to remember about faces is that the distance between the eyes is generally about the width of an eye.
Critics are always welcome
So my critique/observation would be that the eyes on your face here are too wide-set.

Well done Flowercat. My critique would be as laika's and that you needed to leave more room for a forehead. Just keep practicing, that is the only thing that helps us improve. 🥰

She looks like a sweet and friendly person. Good capture of a great character. I Would make her right eyebrow higher and not so on top of her eye, and what Larmar suggested as well. Since it's not realism, the eyes don't need to be exactly an eye apart, but a little more would help. Still is a nice colorful portrait. I like all the colors you used. :)

Flowercat, your face drawings are absolutely charming! The spacing of the eyes, button ears, and bright red ready lips.... these are the kind of expressive faces that would be ideal as illustrations in a children's book! The spacing of her eyes is meaningful only if you want to go for realism... your natural style is anything but that. I love it!

It certainly is charming. And yes, for childrens books, possibly as a greeting card, too. It's delightful.

As far trying to get better at humans, carvinginnyc.com has a lot of info. here's a little about eyes:
  1. The space between the eyes is about the same width as one eye. If the width of eye is used as a unit of measurement, the head is five eyes wide. The eyes are halfway between the top of the head and the chin
  2. The space between the pupils is two and a half inches.
I do hope you do not lose your present style. Add to it, of course...:)

Great painting.
If you would like to develop more realistic direction, the Loomis method is pretty good imo, and his books are free domain, so free to download in pdf form.

Back