Gateway

ntl

Contributing Member
Gateway-~6x9" , Derwent, Albrecht-Durer, and Mongol watercolor pencils, Caran D'Ache Neocolor ll watersoluble wax pastels on 90lb Strathmore WC cold press paper, waterbrush. C&C welcome.

thumbnail_IMG_6631.jpg

Well, this is interesting! You also painted this scene using pure oil pastels, and it's as lovely here. Your gate has more details in this rendition. It's such a pretty scene.

Love the Neocolor and watercolor pencils - but of course, I'm also partial to oil pastels. ;) Which version do you prefer, ntl?

Very nice! I'm thinking of getting a set of those Neocolors. I like how you use them to make washes. It seems like they must be quite versatile.

Arty, thanks!
Terri, thanks. For this I prefer the pencils and crayon. though if I had used a smoother paper--perhaps cardstock, the op one would have been more pleasing. Is cardstock an appropriate support for OPs? And, I think I'll see about getting hot pressed paper for wc after I use these two tablets up. I prefer a smoother result.
Donna, thanks for stopping by. I think the neocolors ll might be a bit more versatile. I do like the soft smoothness I experience with this set of ten. They are expensive I think. I wish I had bought a 15 or 30 color set, but $$$, so I didn't. Thought about getting a few open stock, then thought I'd try a color chart, to see what I could mix with these.
I came across this video "Noob Tries...Neocolor ll water soluble crayons"
I think It's a bit longer than it needs to be, but I found it helpful. However she doesn't mix colors for her charts, and that's what I may attempt. IF I can do one, I'll post some results here. I see there's a couple of other videos, too, I haven's seen them.
I'm not very familiar with watercolor at all, so all this is me working to learn a few things. IIRC, the sky is all the blue neo (except for the white areas, which are the white of the paper) in the box of 10, with different pressure applied. If you watch that video, read through the comments--there were ~ 5 that offered suggestions.

Last edited:
Love the Neocolors which worked well for you. Mostly I use them to accent or punch up watercolor that needs a jolt here and there.

I like this a lot, nice composition. I know nothing of the media you used so no help there.

. I think the neocolors ll might be a bit more versatile. I do like the soft smoothness I experience with this set of ten. They are expensive I think. I wish I had bought a 15 or 30 color set, but $$$, so I didn't.
About a month ago I also bought a set of ten. Been playing a bit with them, and quite like it.
More colors would be nice, but as you say, the price is a bit steep for crayons....

Back