Gateway

ntl

Contributing Member
oil pastels, mixed brands, on Strathmore 90 lb cold pressed watercolor paper, ~6x9"
Learning a bit about oil pastels. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

thumbnail_IMG_6628.jpg

Nice. I like the sky and the way the texture of the paper adds a little sparkle behind the blues. Are oil pastels like soft pastels in that you usually start with the darks and work up to the lights?

Donna, thanks. I don't know, I really am at the beginning. Part of what I think I learned with this is to use a smoother paper. And I think I'll leave places uncovered where I want white, and probably block in with --perhaps a darker version of the desired lighter version. I know very little about this, I don't use them often. I think I'll start a thread re Tips for Using Oil Pastels.

I love how this turned out. The textures are very attractive, and I love how you did the tree stems. The animals are sweet. ♥️

Such a pretty scene! Your gate turned out beautifully. You got really nice textures going, too. Nice one!

Are oil pastels like soft pastels in that you usually start with the darks and work up to the lights?
You know, that's an interesting question. I don't paint like that with them, but others might. A lot depends on the brand used, too, some are more transparent than others and wouldn't cover darks well.

I've never done a full painting with soft pastels, so dark to light sounds like a whole different approach to me. :)

Lovely countryside scene, ntl. It's always great to see people giving oil pastels a try (I think lots of artists have an unused box of them stuck at the back of a drawer somewhere!). The paper texture works well for breaking up the tree foliage, and I like your scraping effect for the background tree branches. Hope to see more of your oil pastel work.

Arty. Terri. thanks!
Triss, thanks to you, too. I have several boxes of oil pastels of varying ages, including two wonderful Grumbacher sets from about 1972. I don't use them much, and was surprised to receive another set, this King art that I can't find now. :(

Back