Frankenstein

Mississippi Hippie

Painted Frankenstein on a pumpkin for Halloween :) do you do / have you done Halloween painting / crafts? IMG_5005.jpeg

“do you do / have you done Halloween painting / crafts?”

A number of years back I was taking an art class as part of the professional developments required to maintain my license as a teacher. In mid-October I came up with the idea for a Halloween painting. (Mixed-media: pastel, acrylic, acrylic paint, and gold leaf… 80”x45”)

IMG_1639.jpeg

I ended up building on the theme of “Beauty & the Beast” with Hermann Munster and a young Yvonne DeCarlo… who would later play Hermann’s wife, Lily Munster. The painting was something of a challenge using a color harmony of green, purple, and orange which I’ve never used elsewhere. The tessellations were also challenging. Looking at the painting later I found myself thinking that the outlandish humor and the expressionistic colors might have been inspired by Max Beckmann who was my favorite artist… or at least my favorite modern artist for some years.

That’s impressive and I like it’s a skilled painting that still looks Halloween! :) I watched the munsters only a handful of times, but cool choice of subject. :) Frankenstein’s monster for sure looks scary haha

Nice pumpkin and good for you for using it as a painting surface. I put gesso on some rocks to prepare them for Halloween paintings but so far they are just white rocks. Ghosts? lol

St.Luke - awesome painting and thanks for reminding me of the Munsters! Hermann and Lily were the best.

Back