Fixing Oil Pastels?

JessieNebulous

So, for oil pastel users: what do you use to fix your pieces? I've heard fixatives tend to darken or dull the colors, so I'm wondering what brands/types you have found that work best?

My two cents? I'm not aware of one out there that satisfactorily does the job, but then, I've not tried Sennelier's spray fixative for oil pastels. Most things that I've heard of people trying contain a solvent in the mix, which makes it easy to melt - for lack of a better word - the waxy part of the oil pastels. And for the same reason, it would be a nightmare to clean or remove a fixative if you weren't happy with it.

I'm certainly not the last word on the subject, though, and there are some very talented and experienced OP artists here who might have something different to share.

What op's are you using? Because op's have wax in them, they 'never' really dry. Therefore it is advisable to let them set for at least a month before 'fixing'. I use the harder op's and don't seal them as I store them in plastic bags with no adverse effects. The Senneliers are much softer and a good way to store paintings when done on boards is in racks where the painting can stay upright.

What op's are you using? Because op's have wax in them, they 'never' really dry. Therefore it is advisable to let them set for at least a month before 'fixing'. I use the harder op's and don't seal them as I store them in plastic bags with no adverse effects. The Senneliers are much softer and a good way to store paintings when done on boards is in racks where the painting can stay upright.
I'm using Pentel oil pastels, which is a pretty cheap brand that's probably on the drier side. I also use gamsol to blend out my work as a sort of "cheat" to make cheaper pastels look and blend better, so would that affect anything do you think?

I never knew that about Gamsol, Lamar. Good info to have.

I agree with what Christel says, and always wait a good month or so before spraying any fix. Sometimes longer if I just forget about it. ;)

I tend to stay with the Sennelier fix, since that's what it's made for. It has a really nice, soft, even spray that covers well.

I have Krylon finishing spray, too, but I'm not fond of how it sprays. It's not as fine a mist, and I don't care for the internal roller thingy you have to have to mix the stuff when shaking the can. It's not needed with the Sennelier. I'm sure it works just as well, though, and is less expensive than Sennelier. :)

I never knew that about Gamsol, Lamar. Good info to have.
If I'm not mistaken, Gamsol is a highly refined odorless mineral spirits, so it's just gonna evaporate from the painting. If you've ever used Dorland's wax, it's a petroleum distillate of some kind that keeps it workable from the jar but evaporates out when it's applied. Same type of thing with quality OMS and oil pastels.

I'm so glad that you and Christel saw his question :) There's a lot of oil pastel knowledge between you two!

I have put acrylic varnish on oil pastels in the past, but not for anything important, because if scratched the varnish will peel off. As far as I know oil pastels need to be framed behind glass because they never really dry, and since they are thus protected, fixative is unnecessary.

I'm so glad that you and Christel saw his question:)There's a lot of oil pastel knowledge between you two!
I can only speak from my few years of personal experience and some books I have. Christel is the real expert. :)

As far as I know oil pastels need to be framed behind glass because they never really dry, and since they are thus protected, fixative is unnecessary.
I've heard this, too! It's a question that seems to come up on occasion. If you're not going to get them under glass (the best protection), then the fixative can provide some bit of a seal. But you're right, a spray fix couldn't keep them from being damaged if they came in direct contact with something.

Yet, I know an oil pastel artist who put a video on IG, showing how strong some of his older OP paintings are. He picked them up, unframed, tapped them, slapped them, ran his fingers over them, rapped them - and they were impervious! I told him later I could hardly watch the abuse and he just laughed. A great artist, he lives and works in the Pacific NW.

Terri, oil pastel works are definitely less fragile than soft pastel, so I would hang the work with acrylic varnish on my own wall, or give away, but wouldn't risk selling it.
Interesting, Christel. I would worry they'd get dirty, or dusty, and hard to clean.

I would do too if I used Senneliers. The hard ones like Pentel, get hard enough to wipe over lightly with a damp cloth😎

That's good to hear. One of my pentel pieces eventually needs to make a car ride from SC to PA. It has several months to cure first and will then be under glass, and from everything I've heard here, that should be sufficient. Fingers crossed!

I would like to very carefully apply cold wax as an experimental varnish. Sure, it would fuse with the oil pastels, but wax varnished paintings can be dusted and buffed. One of these days...

Back