First still life drawing - feel like it looks a bit flat? How to fix?

Your Permanent Record

Screenshot_20230924-205307.png

More values in the form of shading would be helpful. Decide which direction which the light is hitting, and shade the opposite side. Good start and welcome!
Thanks for the feedback! The lighting seemed neutral but I'll still try shading when I get home!

I have always had a hard putting in a range of darks. Just go for it--you'll be amazed! You already have some darks: there's a shadow next to the jar, the side of the jar away from the light should have shadow, the upright on the lower shelf has some dark, does the viewer right sidewall of the desk also need shadow?
This is a wonderful start!

More values in the form of shading would be helpful. Decide which direction which the light is hitting, and shade the opposite side. Good start and welcome!
I have always had a hard putting in a range of darks. Just go for it--you'll be amazed! You already have some darks: there's a shadow next to the jar, the side of the jar away from the light should have shadow, the upright on the lower shelf has some dark, does the viewer right sidewall of the desk also need shadow?
This is a wonderful start!

Linear perspective is one of the fundamentals.
If you re post your second photo the way you did the first it would be easier to see to comment on. From what I can see, this is improved.
If this is a real life scene, set a lamp to shine on it so your shadows fall as they are in your drawing and eliminate as much other light as you can, then study each area and adjust your drawing. If not real life, set up a model for yourself.
You learn as you go. Keep at it!

I agree with the above posts. If you deepen shadows and improve the shading, correct the perspective, you will have a much more realistic drawing. Your drawing is very good but where you have perspective in the shadows under the table, the table top is completely off. The back of the table should recede away from us. Just observe and practice and you will get there. :giggle:

"The back of the table should recede away from us."
The sides of the table top should look more like /_________\ than what you have( \_____/ ) the front being closer, is wider than the other side. That's a fundamental in linear perspective.
Google first, "one point perspective" the when ready, "two point perspective" (for drawing boxes, etc)
Or, a "simple" book on perspective that I use is a Walter Foster PERSPECTIVE (Amazon, ~$13.00, thriftbooks.com, ~$5.00)

I wondered if the table was a drawing table with a tilted top- then the error was only the back-top width ( \ / ) rather than the top's viewed area and shelves and such, too. If so, it's a sneaky bit of sight-drawing to start with- like giving someone a foreshortened elbow-pointing at them nude figure to draw right out of the box.

One point perspective to start- lots of tutorials on that on the 'net. You will also need to learn all about dam-- dang ellipses, too- and if those don't fry your brain, you'll be off to the races.

Here's something you need to accept: In the US, especially, and likely other countries, we are not taught how to draw. We're given el cheapo construction paper, a box of crayons, for something special, some safety scissors, a pot of glue and some glitter, and that's 'Art'. Then, as you proceed through your formal education, 'Art' is left by the wayside because there's no money in it for a Regular Joe/Josephine. So you NEVER are taught the most important fundamental of Art- drawing. 'Draughtsmanship'

Which means, as an adult, when you try to 'get into Art', you spend a year or two teaching yourself to draw and are mostly unsuccessful because your teacher doesn't know the subject and your student doesn't either.

You're smart to start with drawing- the foundation of pretty much all of it. Draw every day- a shoe, a cup, a book, a cat, a box of cookies (likely empty or is if you're hungry), an apple, a doorway, the corner of your room. Try NOT to use lines other than as lightly applied way-markers; instead use blocks and shapes of shadows- passages of light and dark (if you do not get into the 'drawing = lines' issue, you don't have to unlearn it). Creative Spark has sketch exercises- might should try them.

Study other artists' drawing techniques and results, and also remember this: There's absolutely NO RULE that says you have to draw everything free-hand or it isn't 'Art'; that's just a canard- a lie. You can graph, you can use sight measuring, you can use your pencil or pen as a ruler, you can even trace or project and trace- doesn't matter. Drawing is just a foundational discipline to 'Art'.

What matters is learning to draw what you SEE- because once you get THAT, you get value, which gives you colour and composition. Which is 'Art'.

I did some practice on linear perspective and retouched up my table drawing.

Attachments

• PXL_20231004_042709043.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231004_042709043.MP.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20231004_044904827.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231004_044904827.MP.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20231005_031106596.jpg
    PXL_20231005_031106596.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 22
Good job
I like your attempts and they all gave you great advice.

I don't know if it might please you, I have sometimes looked at this free site, I haven't done everything but only these first lessons several times, I haven't done the 250m exercise all of it, just started sometimes but that explanation was more to me clear.

https://drawabox.com/lesson/1/6

Good job
I like your attempts and they all gave you great advice.

I don't know if it might please you, I have sometimes looked at this free site, I haven't done everything but only these first lessons several times, I haven't done the 250m exercise all of it, just started sometimes but that explanation was more to me clear.

https://drawabox.com/lesson/1/6
I've done drawabox a few times in the past, but the jump in skill required between lessons 2 and 3 seem really drastic, I don't think I've gone past the first few chapters in each attempt. It looks like it's been updated since the last time I've been there, so maybe it's better!

If you wish this particular one to look more realistic, intensify the shadows. The game piece would have a shadow showing from the other handle too, the cylinder would cast a shadow and there would be a darker line right under the book. The brace under the table would cast a shadow and there would be a shadow under the overhang of the table. The whole secret to making any still life look real is in the shadows and shading.

Back