First painted rock

PaintBoss

Contributing Member
Well, it’s my daughter‘s birthday. She’s an adult, but she lost her two beloved bunnies and misses them terribly. So I painted this as one of her birthday presents. She won’t expect it. I used my medical table and was able to do this in bed, which is awesome!! I don’t have the strength to sit at my art desk and use my arms there without shaking and pain. Naturally, I had my husband pick up a huge canvas for me half price because I have goals!🙂
This is acrylic on a rock from a parking lot. I was only going to paint the one bunny and then I thought, no I’ll do both. I painted the orange bunny previously on a Christmas decoration so I wasn’t going to do it again. Then I thought it would be really nice if she can have both bunnies together like they were. I kept it simple.
PS Hey Sno! I finally got around to painting rocks- your favourite!😋😁
IMG_5665.jpeg

IMG_5663.jpeg

IMG_5660.jpeg

Wow, what a gift for you to be able to do these and for your daughter to have such a beautiful reminder of her precious bunnies. You did great work with these!

I meant to ask: do you prime the rocks with something like matte medium or do you just start in with acrylics? I’ve always wanted to try this.

Yes i washed the rock and once dried, primed with gesso. Then used a middle grey acrylic for the base coat. Once done I used several coats of acrylic matte varnish to protect the paintings.

So beautiful !!! I know your daughter will cherish these.

I live by a creek that's full of rocks that I could paint but so far I haven't had to physical stamina and balance to go down and gather any. I did go in that direction one day a couple weeks ago, but fell on the way with my skirt over my head and legs in the air. Nobody threw money or flowers, though, so I guess my efforts were for naught. :mad: (Never mind me---I just have a sense of humor at my own expense. LOL)

I wish I could send you some of the rocks from my little creek but postage would be ridiculous, I'm sure. Thank you for sharing these precious gifts with us. :)

So beautiful !!! I know your daughter will cherish these.

I live by a creek that's full of rocks that I could paint but so far I haven't had to physical stamina and balance to go down and gather any. I did go in that direction one day a couple weeks ago, but fell on the way with my skirt over my head and legs in the air. Nobody threw money or flowers, though, so I guess my efforts were for naught. :mad: (Never mind me---I just have a sense of humor at my own expense. LOL)

I wish I could send you some of the rocks from my little creek but postage would be ridiculous, I'm sure. Thank you for sharing these precious gifts with us. :)
Oh my goodness is that you Ellen? In Oregon? Who does beautiful beadwork?
Sounds like you! I hope you’re all right after your fall. Oh boy, skirt over your head. Well that gets an “A” for effort! You’re very lucky you didn’t get injured.
If it is you we have some catching up to do. Either way, thank you for liking my rock art. I think I will do more. You can get flat rocks, apparently, and much smaller sizes. I want to send my little nephew and niece some with something on it they will like.

Amazing gifts. Happy you can forget your pain for a bit and accomplish something for your daughter. Applause and hugs.

You did a wonderful job on them PaintBoss. ❤️ She'll love them. I like to give mine a base coat of black gesso.

Yep, that's me alright! I haven't done any beadwork in a long time. Three years, in fact. Getting covid threw a big wrench into the works for me and I haven't even painted very much. I even missed one year of painting Christmas cards. That really broke my heart.

I'm back at it again, though. My family moved me into a 12 x 50 mobile home in April so I'm not in that 5th wheel and this is much better. I'm right on the creek now, directly under the dead snag that holds the osprey's nest. I've got so many picturesque little scenes to paint. I can use my walker in this bigger place and I even have a spare bedroom for my art and beading supplies.

Yep, that's me alright! I haven't done any beadwork in a long time. Three years, in fact. Getting covid threw a big wrench into the works for me and I haven't even painted very much. I even missed one year of painting Christmas cards. That really broke my heart.

I'm back at it again, though. My family moved me into a 12 x 50 mobile home in April so I'm not in that 5th wheel and this is much better. I'm right on the creek now, directly under the dead snag that holds the osprey's nest. I've got so many picturesque little scenes to paint. I can use my walker in this bigger place and I even have a spare bedroom for my art and beading supplies.
Hello dear lady! It’s so nice to see you here. I think we missed each other at times. I was in the hospitals so much last year. I remember seeing a comment you made to me and replying, but then I was gone again. And with my health, it only started improving recently. I didn’t spend time doing art or being on the forum. It’s very nice to feel well enough to be here now. I have thought of you so often Ellen over the last few years. Wondering how you were doing, if you were still in your fifth wheel, and hoping everything was well on your end. I’m really glad to hear that you’ve got a new place that will work better for you. You were quite a trooper at times in that fifth wheel. I’m glad you got through Covid. Glad you’re able to get up and about. I had to take a break from art too. But I’m trying to do more now. Maybe you should try painting on some rocks. The smaller ones. The nice thing is that the material is cheap! Lol. I think it’s wonderful you have more space now and have your own room for your arts and crafts supplies. Very happy to see you here!

Back