Fashion Heroes

Hermes2020

It may come as a surprise (but then, maybe not) that I have always taken a keen interest in the world of fashion. Probably not surprisingly, my two big heroes are Issey Miyake and Rick Owens. Here is a video on Miyake, whose fragrance I've been using constantly for many years.

I love him for his sculptural designs.

Rick Owens is a deeply cultured and sharply intelligent guy. I like the way he speaks articulately about his design philosophy and his approach to learning the skills he needs to express himself.

Both of them are way beyond the typical chase after annual novelty, superficiality, and profits many of us associate with the fashion industry.

If I were 40 years younger, I would have worn Rick Owens.

I never knew much about fashion and paid it little attention until a few years ago, when I played around with cartooning and illustration and such. I could draw cartoon figures, but then realized that when it came to clothing them, I tended to draw a complete and utter blank, particularly with female figures - women's clothing tends to be more elaborate.

So then I developed more of an interest. I thought by reading up a bit about fashion design, it might be easier to imagine and draw clothing. I didn't get far with it, because as usual I simply had too much noise in my head, and I had no idea where to start anyway.

I did develop an appreciation for the stylized, expressive figure drawing employed by many fashion designers.

I did develop an appreciation for the stylized, expressive figure drawing employed by many fashion designers.
And not just their fashion drawings. A friend in Paris had some erotic drawings by Yves Saint Laurent that were so accomplished that I thought they were by Jean Cocteau when I saw them.

Hermes, you should certainly have placed this post under the Art forum because fashion is most certainly Art. I've been fascinated with fashion for quite some time. It plays a major role throughout Art History, but I am also struck by many works of fashion from film, theater, the opera, burlesque, etc... I started a Fashion thread quite some time ago but unfortunately, it fell to the wayside. Perhaps Arty can merge the two?

Fashion

Hermes, you should certainly have placed this post under the Art forum because fashion is most certainly Art. I've been fascinated with fashion for quite some time. It plays a major role throughout Art History, but I am also struck by many works of fashion from film, theater, the opera, burlesque, etc... I started a Fashion thread quite some time ago but unfortunately, it fell to the wayside. Perhaps Arty can merge the two?

Fashion
I am of the same mind! I just wasn't sure where the post belonged. It would be a good idea to revive your Fashion thread.

It is amazing how closely much of what Rick Owens says in that interview aligns with my own stance on almost everything in my life, and not only in art-related issues.

I remember being in Art School and having several teachers try to persuade me to take the portrait classes… but all I ever saw coming out of those classes were bland paintings of less-than-attractive models dressed in jeans and t-shirts or other such abominations. I remember one professor pointing out that many of my favorite artists were consummate portraitist; Rubens, Velazquez, Ingres, etc… I responded that this was true, but I would surely love painting portraits as well if the models were wearing the sort of exquisite clothing that Ruben’s’ and Ingres’ had to work with. I think if the teachers who ran the portrait classes were a little less rigid and allowed us to dress the models up a bit, I might have been more interested.

I'm still trying to decide if there should be a fashion forum of some sort. Then I can put all of this stuff there.

There's a Fiber Arts and Fashion forum, but is that not correct enough? What do you think?

Hey, it sounds fine to me. I was only thinking we might want a place where these posts are together.

Back