Experiment on newsprint

snoball

Certifiable
Supporting Member
This was an experiment to see how it would turn out. I wanted to see how I could paint on newsprint without it soaking in or showing through. I had the canvas already toned so I used clear gesso to adhere the newsprint to the canvas. After the 3rd try I finally got it to work for me. I let it completely dry and then treated it like decoupage. I gave it another good coat of clear gesso, let that dry and then painted the sky and horse head with oil. It seems to have worked.
HorseOnNews.jpg

I love the combination of horse and newspaper! What an interesting and thought provoking background for an excellent horse portrait! Maybe there will be more like this?

Excellent, Snoball. I really like your horse. Thanks for telling us about the steps you took to get the result you did.

I love the combination of horse and newspaper! What an interesting and thought provoking background for an excellent horse portrait! Maybe there will be more like this?
There may be, who knows?;) Thanks Donna! ❤️

Excellent, Snoball. I really like your horse. Thanks for telling us about the steps you took to get the result you did.
Thanks Penny! ❤️ I wanted to share because I was kind of excited to find it was possible. :giggle:

An thery're off.... coming up the back stretch. Beautiful work on a great idea.
Thank you Wayne!❤️ I do get some crazy ideas from time to time. Like I said, I had to make 3 tries at this one but I was determined. :giggle:

it's phenomenal, it's a beautiful painting, a wonderful horse, and it almost comes out of the motor, fantastic both for the beauty of your horse painting and for the 3d effect you created and for the newspaper page we see in the background. Super wonderful

it's phenomenal, it's a beautiful painting, a wonderful horse, and it almost comes out of the motor, fantastic both for the beauty of your horse painting and for the 3d effect you created and for the newspaper page we see in the background. Super wonderful
Thank you Joe! 💕

Sno, I saw this when you posted it in the "Working on" forum - and I'm even more impressed seeing it here! Thank you for including your process. I had to look up "decoupage" for it to be clearer to me. :LOL: Such a cool technique used here!

It's a beautiful piece of art! Happy that you were so determined to make it work.

Oh MY! This is just amazing! I just love this. It's just my thing too--the collage bits and the horse. I am allergic to horses, but LOVE them. They are the most beautiful creatures. You have done an amazing job with this. I'm in awe (as usual).

Sno, I saw this when you posted it in the "Working on" forum - and I'm even more impressed seeing it here! Thank you for including your process. I had to look up "decoupage" for it to be clearer to me. :LOL: Such a cool technique used here!

It's a beautiful piece of art! Happy that you were so determined to make it work.
Thank you Terri! ❤️

Back