Expand Your Horizons

ams

20211009D Expand Your Horizons (pixabay).jpg

This is from a reference from Pixabay.

This was painted using Artrage digital oils and palette knife. I started with a freehand digital sketch and then work in multiple layers over the sketch.

Thanks Lazarus, Wayne, Arty and Christel.

I had fun doing this one.

Thanks Deborah and eyepaint.

wow! you have gotten very good with this digital stuff!
Mike, thanks for the compliment. This medium just turned out to be a very good fit for me. It's all of the fun of oil painting without any of the mess!

Lovely color scheme. I like how soft it is yet at the same time it has a vibrant accent.

Reactions: ams
Beautiful work, Anne!
I think one learns a lot about composition and colors with digital painting, or at least I assume. I never did use one. Love the colors in this piece!

Thanks Moscatel.

Actually, I learned more about colors when I worked in watercolor. Digital tends to use the colors already mixed. I do some mixing on the "canvas" but not as much as with traditional painting. The one thing I do make sure of color wise is to make sure colors vary slightly in a large area of the same color. If I just use the same color setting, it looks very flat and there is no life or spark there. You only have to vary the color slightly but it's important to do so.

You are right on about composition though. I work in layers, so I can resize parts of the composition and move them around. I can make the whole thing large enough to fill the canvas even if I didn't start out that way or shrink it down a little if I worked too large to fit (a common mistake I make!).

Anne - I so admire digital artwork and yours is really beautiful! One of these days I keep promising myself I'll have a try at digi work but never seem to get around to it.

Anne - I so admire digital artwork and yours is really beautiful! One of these days I keep promising myself I'll have a try at digi work but never seem to get around to it.
Thanks Vivien. I enjoy working digitally. I like to work in lots of little sessions and digital is ideal for that because there is no cleanup.(y)

I can’t believe this is digital! Impressive work.
Thanks Donna. Artrage, the software I use, has an amazing oil "brush" that behaves just like the natural media. The paints mix and move the way you expect them too when you use the "palette knife." It all helps to get good results and it's lots of fun too.

Back