Enough is enough!

The outrage is the point, of course. If they didn't do outrageous things, they wouldn't gain attention to their cause.

Fortunately, the 2 paintings I'm aware of that were attacked haven't actually been harmed. There's lots of exposed artwork out there, yet so far they've targeted ones that are covered in glass. Almost like they planned it. ;) Unlikely this organization could afford the legal defense for a van Gogh actually drenched in tomato sauce, nor would that generate much sympathy for their cause.

Terri, you're assuming they chose the protected artwork deliberately. What if they hadn't? And what if they have an accident with something that isn't so well protected?

Of course they are seeking the attention. There are less destructive ways. And these have NOTHING to do with the art or the artist, so it's an inappropriate target to me.

Terri, you're assuming they chose the protected artwork deliberately. What if they hadn't? And what if they have an accident with something that isn't so well protected?

Of course they are seeking the attention. There are less destructive ways. And these have NOTHING to do with the art or the artist, so it's an inappropriate target to me.
Not assuming so much as observing what's happened. Trust me, we're on the same side. ;) I stated they will not garner sympathy for their cause if they actually destroy something precious: so far, they haven't. Time will tell.

I've heard speculation that it could be an attempt at 4D chess. The protest group is lead by a daughter of a major western oil family. So is she just being a rebel against daddy? Or is it a sly way to make this global movement look bad as a whole group?

I do find it concerning. Especially if there's copycats. A tin of tomato soup is not completely harmless. Some pigments are rather sensitive to food acids and once affected are dramatically changed in appearance forever.

The only climate catastrophe is the permitted birthing of idiots like this. If they glued themselves to the wall, they should have been left there for a few days. Performance art. Otherwise I agree with you all.

The only climate catastrophe is the permitted birthing of idiots like this. If they glued themselves to the wall, they should have been left there for a few days. Performance art. Otherwise I agree with you all.
You mean like that banana?

To be honest that seems like they did this, to make climate change activists seem like horrible people, you shouldnt support, to me. I could be wrong.

To be honest that seems like they did this, to make climate change activists seem like horrible people, you shouldnt support, to me. I could be wrong.
I can't even follow the logic here. False flag? What?

Mankind needs a slap upside the head about the seriousness of man made global warming. That was their intention. It's what protests do. Like the dumping of the tea in Boston Harbor. Their intention is not to harm the art. The art was not harmed. Of course some media outlets never mention that. They knew the art was protected. What is not protected is all life on earth from man made global warming/climate change. The outrage should be there not on some trivial painted thing. We are ignoring the problem. I support their actions. I think protest is fine and in fact good for society. Art has always been a way to understand things. Sometimes the tea must be dumped.

Last edited:
Mankind needs a slap upside the head about the seriousness of man made global warming. That was their intention. It's what protests do. Like the dumping of the tea in Boston Harbor. Their intention is not to harm the art. The art was not harmed. Of course some media outlets never mention that. They knew the art was protected. What is not protected is all life on earth from man made global warming/climate change. The outrage should be there not on some trivial painted thing. We are ignoring the problem. I support their actions. I think protest is fine and in fact good for society. Art has always been a way to understand things. Sometimes the tea must be dumped.

We need more than a slap on the head or the wrist, but gluing your head to a famous painting seems like a hole in the head to me. They are certainly getting attention for the short run, and it will indeed run its course quickly, but not the right kind of attention to their issue. Better Greta Thunberg.

I listened to a podcast with one of the organizers, and they stated that they chose pieces of art behind glass and glazing so that they would not be ruined. I think it was called the week in art podcast - artists and climate action.

Back