Ducks in Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
This was done in a cheap Strathmore Visual Journal, 140CP, 9 x 12. It was part of a challenge for another forum, and I thought I would just use a bit of water (which I generally use buckets). But that did not work out, and I started putting more glazes on, which was not good for that paper. It resulted in a rather "heavy" look, as opposed to the freshness of watercolor. I did persevere until I was finished, and will only use dry media in the remainder of these cheap sketchbooks. It amazes me to see those that can create such beautiful art on non cotton paper.

Ducks.jpeg

It's interesting to read your process here - if you hadn't mentioned it I doubt I'd have noticed the density in this one. But the colors are so light and lovely, it all works out beautifully.

Your greens are luscious! I'm enjoying the bit of yellow grasses in the background. Nice extra detail.

Great job - even if you didn't like the paper for it. ;)

This was done in a cheap Strathmore Visual Journal, 140CP, 9 x 12. It was part of a challenge for another forum, and I thought I would just use a bit of water (which I generally use buckets). But that did not work out, and I started putting more glazes on, which was not good for that paper. It resulted in a rather "heavy" look, as opposed to the freshness of watercolor. I did persevere until I was finished, and will only use dry media in the remainder of these cheap sketchbooks. It amazes me to see those that can create such beautiful art on non cotton paper.

View attachment 41268
Beautiful

This came out beautifully, Joy. I love the rich bright colors.

I've never been happy with Strathmore paper for soft pastels and do watercolors so seldom, but I'm not fond of the Strathmore Visual Journal I have either.

Thank you for your kind words. I don't know why the Strathmore Journal got such good reviews.

Love this one. Love the brilliance of color and the texture of the paper. You did so well on the birds' faces and the blending of the whites and blues! ♥️

Back