Douglas Creek Red Tree

Trier

Supporting Member
From a long time ago.
One of my very first tries at abstracts; felt pretty daring at the time.
It is a combination blend of my street back in Ohio and the old fishing spot with Cramer.
I think this is more abstract than landscape so I am posting it here.

16x20 ins acrylic/hardboard
DSCN0010DouglasCrk.JPG

C&C

A tree beside the water, sun peeking through the trees across the river. :giggle:

Love it, Trier! The pretty clear influence of the “fauves” (Matisse, Derain) is visible here or maybe it’s just coincidental?… In any case, your abstraction of the landscape into blocks of strong colors that are blocked by colored outlines (for the most part), while the viewer can easily detect the scene on hand (Sno’s comment) is marvelous.
Cheers!

That's a fabulous first attempt because it looks like an accomplished abstract to me. Well balanced composition and playful. I love it. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

A tree beside the water, sun peeking through the trees across the river. :giggle:
Thanks, sno, you have nailed it.

For those who might be interested, and especially to anyone wanting to take a first swat at Abstract, here briefly is how I tackled the challenge.

I thought of Picasso's remark to the effect that every abstract starts with 'something'; by which I took it to mean that a real life scene, object or design is morphed in stages to the abstract, and by then it may be unrecognizable.

I loaded up with quick looks at Fauve paintings I liked and tried to feel their spirit.

The real life scenes used were the wet street in front of my house after a rain and a tree and woods from my fishing spot. Then I had at it.

I have read enough remarks by abstract painters to know that this approach is one of a thousand and that most use a deliberative method. Apparently anything that works is the way.

I hope this encourages someone.

Love it, Trier! The pretty clear influence of the “fauves” (Matisse, Derain) is visible here or maybe it’s just coincidental?… In any case, your abstraction of the landscape into blocks of strong colors that are blocked by colored outlines (for the most part), while the viewer can easily detect the scene on hand (Sno’s comment) is marvelous.
Cheers!
Hey thanks, Nufocus, you are on the money about the Fauves ! I really like Vlaminck, Chaim Soutine, Derain et. al. and aspire to get closer.

Back