Does the smell of oil paints bother you?

Some oils have alkali refined linseed (or other drying oil) as their drying oil, probably to speed the dry time. They don’t always post or label this on the tubes. Any alkaloid will give off an amount of fumes with some small measure of toxicity. Those old grumbacher oils may have some alkaloids. Really no sure way of finding out unless you know a chemist with resources. I have and use some of these old Grumbacher oils. I haven’t noticed any odd smells but my nose is old. Those old oils do have a good pigment load though. You are wise to move them to the garage, your body is telling you something, good to listen.

I find M Graham oils to be well worth the price, which is still better than some other high end paints. They have a very good pigment load and I like the slickness of walnut oil which I use for my oil medium with all my oils.

No alkyds in these, they are taking forever to dry. Especially the titanium white of course. I'm pretty sure I've used alkaloids in the past also. They had different effects. I take forever to dry out. :)

No alkyds in these, they are taking forever to dry. Especially the titanium white of course. I'm pretty sure I've used alkaloids in the past also. They had different effects. I take forever to dry out. :)
That made me smile, John 😊

Mark Carder -The Draw Mix Paint guy - not to be confused with the My Pillow Guy - has a concoction he made and sells called Brush Dip.
Dip your oil brush after use - and you never have to wash them. He also gives the formula if you rather make it yoursel.f.

Oil paint surely does have a unique smell,.......and I absolutely LOVE it! In fact, I find it to be quite inspiring for my work. My usual painting medium is composed of two drying oils, Walnut, and Linseed, and Canada Balsam, a resin, along with Oil of Spike Lavender as my solvent. The smell just doesn't get any better'n THAT!

For caffeine I've recently shifted to loose tea. I'm a tea novice so I bought a chinese tea sampler and am enjoying it. Some unique kinds I never heard of before. I'm surprised, have not had coffee in two weeks and don't miss it at all. Drinking tea is more relaxing/meditative to me and seems easier on the system. And tea can be brewed multiple times. I didn't know that!

Bill, I think if added even more volatile hydrocarbons to my paint would make things worse. Even perfumes make me sneeze.

I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get out for some plein air. Then the smell doesn't matter at all. For now the walnut oils are good for inside but I only want to paint outside.

Have you ever tried flowering tea John. It's cool.
images.jpeg.jpg

Speaking of smell, have any of you heard of The Whiskey Painters of America? It is an exclusive little group of watercolor painters who use whiskey instead of water. Membership is strictly limited to 150. You can apply but someone has to die or leave the club for you to be accepted. They turn out some fabulous little paintings. Loose n Free, who used to be very active on WC was accepted a couple of years ago and has been doing some great whiskey paintings. Just don't drink the painting "water"! 😁

I am in the discussion never having used them even if in reality I think it would bother me apart from that I draw at home in a small room and I don't think it would be okay but lately I don't like alcohol markers or pens anymore, before I could use them now, I don't know if they would really give me a headache, a little bit (maybe just intoxication if anything) but I don't like them, that is, pens, odorless products, I like them much more.

Snoball did not know about whiskey painting, (I wanted to talk about the coffee one) about coffee
just recently I had seen some beautiful painted drawings in color, brown, sepia, a little bit I was thinking about watercolor, but not sure it was watercolor, a couple of days ago I saw that they were works made with coffee, there was video on istagram , saw one or 2 artists working with coffee.
I did not know of this, strong right, proven?
I had read about the tea to yellow sheet, I think I like the yellow sheet and tried once but only ruined the paper.

I said about alcoholic markers but works with coffee I think they have a pleasant smell, at least the risk is not to make a popsicle or drink it for those who see or do

Snoball did not know about whiskey painting, (I wanted to talk about the coffee one) about coffee
just recently I had seen some beautiful painted drawings in color, brown, sepia, a little bit I was thinking about watercolor, but not sure it was watercolor, a couple of days ago I saw that they were works made with coffee, there was video on istagram , saw one or 2 artists working with coffee.
I did not know of this, strong right, proven?
Yes, I've seen coffee paintings. They make beautiful sepia-like paintings. I suppose to darken, you could go over the same spot more than once. And of course, I would be tempted to add some dark brown colored pencil for details. :giggle:

I thought this was "tongue-in-cheek" but looked it up and couldn't believe that it is a thing! :oops:
I've had several varieties of different flowers. I have some in the kitchen now. They come as a ball and when you drop them into water just gone off the boil they flower like a time lapse video. I have Jasmin and two others left. They taste quite nice. 😊
20210218_094947_1613641843568.jpg

Back