Desert Life- Very Boring or WAY Too Exciting

I keep telling those "everything should be natural, live as One with the Earth" people that this planet will kill you in a heartbeat.

Glad you got out alive.
Thank you. Still struggling. Still going to the food bank. Waiting on a few job offers. It’s gotta get better right?

I've lived in the land of earthquakes and fires (LA) my whole life. It's not that you get used to it, it's just that there's something everywhere that's terrifying. You try not to think about it until it's actually happening!

I now live in the California high desert, and both happen here too. There have been BIG earthquakes here and fires that have burned down hundreds of thousands of acres. We are not exactly prepared because our lives are more important than things, but we do have a 10-minutes "fire list." The things we would gather if we had 10 minutes to get the hell out of Dodge. That's about all. Which reminds me, we didn't put "clothes" on that list! I better change it, but that will take up a good amount of time, throwing clothes in a suitcase. It's a terrifying thought indeed! But it's also reality. You can only be so prepared for something like that.
I live in the Willamette National Forest and for the past couple of summers we've had fire alerts. The first one only got to level 2 but last summer we got really close to a 3 and I ended up having to go stay in Eugene with my grand-daughter. I had a modest financial windfall a couple of years ago and had splurged on some spendy art supplies. Guess what I evacuated with----mostly those art supplies. To heck with the clothes---I wasn't about to lose my one chance at using those art supplies.

Thankfully, this past fall, winter and spring we've see our drought let up and it's been raining some this past week, too, but we did get one little burst of fire for a couple of days. Nothing too nearby or uncontrollable, though. But once again, if the forest fires make me leave again, to heck with the clothes, I'm taking my art supplies. :ROFLMAO:

Cali high desert is *hot*- we were at Edwards a couple years.
I didn't realize Edwards was located up here. I always thought of it near Kern County. There is a Marine base in 29 Palms not far from here.

If you think the high desert is *hot,* you should experience the California low deserts where it's usually 20-30 degrees hotter and never snows. Even 29 Palms is about 10 degrees hotter than where I live because it's a bit lower in elevation and rarely gets any snowfall. Usually, Joshua Tree have summers like LA. Not hotter. It's a *hot* summer if it gets past 100 degrees. Not bad when Palm Springs hits 125!

I live in the Willamette National Forest and for the past couple of summers we've had fire alerts. The first one only got to level 2 but last summer we got really close to a 3 and I ended up having to go stay in Eugene with my grand-daughter. I had a modest financial windfall a couple of years ago and had splurged on some spendy art supplies. Guess what I evacuated with----mostly those art supplies. To heck with the clothes---I wasn't about to lose my one chance at using those art supplies.

Thankfully, this past fall, winter and spring we've see our drought let up and it's been raining some this past week, too, but we did get one little burst of fire for a couple of days. Nothing too nearby or uncontrollable, though. But once again, if the forest fires make me leave again, to heck with the clothes, I'm taking my art supplies. :ROFLMAO:
You give me an idea to throw a simple pack of watercolors and brushes into a bin with some "quick-grab" things. Thank you! ♥️

I didn't realize Edwards was located up here. I always thought of it near Kern County. There is a Marine base in 29 Palms not far from here.

If you think the high desert is *hot,* you should experience the California low deserts where it's usually 20-30 degrees hotter and never snows. Even 29 Palms is about 10 degrees hotter than where I live because it's a bit lower in elevation and rarely gets any snowfall. Usually, Joshua Tree have summers like LA. Not hotter. It's a *hot* summer if it gets past 100 degrees. Not bad when Palm Springs hits 125!
Yes- and it is high desert just north and east (I think) of Lancaster- at least according to the Air Force when we were there in the early/mid eighties.

What I remember is the heat, itself, made its own wind that just rolled over everything. Not like a haboob, here, just blasts of heat.

That and the first shuttle landing there- the sonic boom! was a startling way to awaken that morning.

Anything over 90 is too blasted hot- humidity makes it thick and miasmic, but the desert sun will peel the hide right off you.

Cleveland sits right on the shores of Lake Erie, a great storm machine, and picks up the effects of the other Great Lakes as well. The weather is erratic at best. This past Winter was quite mild as Summer has been so far. However, you never know when temperatures in the 90s (or even 100+) will roll in along with a near-tropical wave of humidity bubbling off the lake. We just put in the small bedroom air-conditioner yesterday and ran it last night but already today it's turned off as the temps are only in the 70s and are predicted to stay there... or even in the 60s for the remainder of the week.

I'll take it. Nothing quite as "pleasant" as standing under several hundred watts of floodlights drawing/painting fine details or trying to adhere gold leaf in 95-degree humid weather. The gold leaf is especially a nightmare. The stuff is almost lighter than air and the slightest breeze such as a fan sets it flying while humidity causes it to stick to everything except where you want it. :mad: 😜

You're just bragging now- 😜

I was born in Michigan- I remember sleeping at the bottom of the stairs (my sister and I had the bedroom up under the eaves) because it was too hot and muggy upstairs.

Enjoy your near-perfect weather!

Cleveland sits right on the shores of Lake Erie, a great storm machine, and picks up the effects of the other Great Lakes as well. The weather is erratic at best. This past Winter was quite mild as Summer has been so far. However, you never know when temperatures in the 90s (or even 100+) will roll in along with a near-tropical wave of humidity bubbling off the lake. We just put in the small bedroom air-conditioner yesterday and ran it last night but already today it's turned off as the temps are only in the 70s and are predicted to stay there... or even in the 60s for the remainder of the week.

I'll take it. Nothing quite as "pleasant" as standing under several hundred watts of floodlights drawing/painting fine details or trying to adhere gold leaf in 95-degree humid weather. The gold leaf is especially a nightmare. The stuff is almost lighter than air and the slightest breeze such as a fan sets it flying while humidity causes it to stick to everything except where you want it. :mad: 😜
Was there for 40 years. That place is cursed and I do not miss it. LoL

The front of my childhood home was brick and face West. The brick radiated heat well into the night... even after my Dad sprayed it down with the garden hose for a good half hour or so. In high school and later during my years in art school my bedroom was moved to the basement. This was partially in order to survive the summer heat... but during art school it allowed me to spend all night working on whatever project was due the next day without disturbing everyone else.

MrBungle-That place is cursed and I do not miss it. LoL

Cleveland definitely has its challenging sides... but it also has one of the finest Art museums in the nation... and it's free! It has one of the best orchestras in the world, an incredible theater district, and major league sports teams in baseball, football, basketball, etc... It also has some of the best deals in the nation when it comes to real estate. For years I was able to afford a 7000-square-foot studio space share with 3 other artists. I'm also within 6 or 7 hours' driving distance of Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Buffalo, and New York and have been able to regularly visit most of the art collections to be found there. I suspect everywhere has its pluses and minuses.

MrBungle-That place is cursed and I do not miss it. LoL

Cleveland definitely has its challenging sides... but it also has one of the finest Art museums in the nation... and it's free! It has one of the best orchestras in the world, an incredible theater district, and major league sports teams in baseball, football, basketball, etc... It also has some of the best deals in the nation when it comes to real estate. For years I was able to afford a 7000-square-foot studio space share with 3 other artists. I'm also within 6 or 7 hours' driving distance of Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Buffalo, and New York and have been able to regularly visit most of the art collections to be found there. I suspect everywhere has its pluses and minuses.
Too bad it’s all in Cleveland .😬😂

I liked Cleveland. Though, I was there near the fall.

And yes, the high desert isn't for everyone I suppose. It takes a certain kind of person who falls in love with it. I still have my hide. It has not peeled off of me yet. I love the nature here.

bloomingjoshua72.jpg

I liked Cleveland. Though, I was there near the fall.

And yes, the high desert isn't for everyone I suppose. It takes a certain kind of person who falls in love with it. I still have my hide. It has not peeled off of me yet. I love the nature here.

View attachment 31498
They don’t call Cleveland a mistake by the lake for nothing lol

Back