Decrepit Old Hippie Haven

Bartc

Think Grateful Dead and others in the 60s, because this former Native village and ranchero site became a cult house for a while.
Painting with a smaller group at Olompali State Park today in Novato, CA. 10x8" soft pastel on Maize PastelMat. B. Charlow 2024
Olompali pastel june 24.jpg

This is great. The color of the paper worked so well for you. Applause! And taking me to a place I won't get to, thanks.

Great piece! I've spent some time in Novato. It's a beautiful place. I never knew about this place near it, or it's affiliation with the Dead or the other 60s bands. Pretty cool. I didn't get what became of the land, though. Who owns it now?

Great piece! I've spent some time in Novato. It's a beautiful place. I never knew about this place near it, or it's affiliation with the Dead or the other 60s bands. Pretty cool. I didn't get what became of the land, though. Who owns it now?
Owned by the State. Might well have been owned by them and leased out during the hippie era. It's now a State Park. Lovely views, some old buildings, a sometimes open interpretive center, and a mock-up Miwok village.

Back