Dante’s vision of hell goes online

I once happened upon an old copy of the Divine Comedy illustrated by John Flaxman, a contemporary of Blake. It still smarts that I could have picked it up for pennies.

The text is in Italian but you can still appreciate the art.

You can select English when you first log onto the site. The Comedia is arguably the single greatest work of literature ever penned. I have at least half a dozen or more translations as well as the illustrations by Blake, Dore, Botticelli, and others. I don't remember ever seeing the illustrations by Zuccari. Thanks for the link. :)

The text is in Italian but you can still appreciate the art.

You can select English when you first log onto the site. The Comedia is arguably the single greatest work of literature ever penned. I have at least half a dozen or more translations as well as the illustrations by Blake, Dore, Botticelli, and others. I don't remember ever seeing the illustrations by Zuccari. Thanks for the link. :)
You're welcome. The Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle is an amusing modern day take on Dante's Inferno.

Sando Birk made some interesting illustrations of the Comedia set in a post-apocalyptic U.S.

22_003.jpg

Birk-SF-Purgatory.900.jpg

84c835ba75841dd6f7f7f2db7d05b1d7.jpg

Inferno_XVI_130-131_page.jpg

Dante+and+Farinata%22.jpg

Birk's Inferno dates from 2005. I first came across him around that time when the work was reviewed in Art News or Art in America. I believe it was the top image in my post above that they printed in the magazine and that grabbed my attention. I have the three separate volumes (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso).

Sorry you lost out to Birk, Arty. I can just imagine what you might have done. I participated on a mural project for the Cleveland public transportation on a bus terminal immediately after I graduated from Art School. The project was funded by Sherwin Williams who also provided the paint. Our professors wanted us to work together coming up with a proposal but we were all egotistical artists who saw collaboration as an artistic "evil". One of my friend's proposals was chosen and none of the rest of us wanted any part of helping her paint the actual mural... until money was involved. We were offered an hourly sum to assist in the project which was painted on canvas in the school studios (we had a huge studio space... a former automotive factory). The canvas was then mounted on site and sealed with a sealant that allowed for easy removal of graffiti. Her design included a crowd of people (waiting at the bus stop). We all ended up turning these into portraits of our girlfriends and boyfriends. :love: 😊

I wasn't surprised to lose to him. It was between him, me, and one other who I never did know. At least I was still paid for making the proposal (painting), but it was not chosen. Oh well. I think I've posted it before. I don't think it was that strong anyway.

Back