Curvatious

brokequixote

Greetings, this is volcanic ash from the Tucson mountains. If anyone has ever been to San Xavier del Bac, the beautiful mission in Tucson, there's a charming old lion's head sculpture attached to a pillar in the courtyard. It's made of the same material, a light purple stone with hard little clasts here and there. This piece was roughed out with a stone saw, carved with hand tools and then smoothed with an angle grinder. And yes, I wear a respirator when using electric tools because when working with unknown stone, you don't know what may be in the dust. Thanks for the look.

Attachments

• 100_2226.JPG
    100_2226.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 78
That must be beautiful in the real as with all the dots and spots it's quite open to interpretation as to what you see in the stone.
Lovely

Wow, this is luscious! ♥️
Thanks for the description of how you created this beautiful piece.
Thank you, Hermes, for your comment. I'm thinking about taking some photos of the tools and processes of direct stone sculpting, as opposed to working from a model and pointing a block of stone. It's kind of like improvising with each stroke of the hammer. But I also want to try working from a model.

That must be beautiful in the real as with all the dots and spots it's quite open to interpretation as to what you see in the stone.
Lovely
Yes, I like that type of stone a lot. Fortunately there's a lot of it scattered around the mountains here. It doesn't take a shine, but has its own airy quality. Thanks for your comments, Enyaw

Ripple. How beautiful! It would be fun to imagine it as a part of a larger piece.
I'm thinking about taking some photos of the tools and processes of direct stone sculpting, as opposed to working from a model and pointing a block of stone. It's kind of like improvising with each stroke of the hammer.
Oh, I would love to see any part of the process! I'm currently trying to hand-polish some choice chunks of petrified wood (legal obtained).

Thank you, laika. Guess I'll be cleaning my windblown stone studio. Love to see your petrified wood chunks. Will you use a tumbler to polish them?

Love the soft smooth curves of this piece, made more interesting by the material it is made from. ❤️

Beautiful! How big is your piece?

For anyone wanting to "visit" the Dove of the Desert, here's an armchair tour.
ntl,

The piece is 19"x 11"x 7 1/2 and weighs about 35 lbs.

That's a nice link to San Javier.

Back