Couple of Studies

Enyaw

namuh
002.jpg

004.jpg

Both are 10 x 14 inches .. oil on paper .. alla prima .. painted Oct 18/22

Wow! Both of these pack a punch, Wayne. They're different in presentation: the top seems more orderly, if that makes sense. Both a couple of beauties!

The yellow sections of the second pic really made me stop and look more carefully. I really like them both.

Cool! I'm curious, Wayne; were you trying out palettes or working on staying loose? The bottom one seems like it wants to be an abstract while the top one seems more orderly like Terri said.

Thank you Terri, JennieJo, Donna, and Zen.

Yes, the first was working on a palette and unintentionally, I went more formal with the subject. In the second I moved back to not as representational in subject matter.

The Lesson From The Couple of Studies is simply this.
If I want to make a statement I need to put paint on my support. The first is a painting but it lacks the punch that color can provide. Hue and intensity is a great part of value so I have to remember that value has those two major characteristics. Changing one or two of them is key to depth of field and atmosphere. Of course if I were painting flat plain then atmosphere is removed from the formula. Since I want the illusion of life I need to have atmosphere and after a study of a study I know what I need to do to transfer that to my next painting.

Wayne, you may think that first one lacks something but I think it is brilliant! That rose facing away from the viewer is special. Love it. ❤️❤️

Thank you Sno.
Well, it's a 50/50 chance that a viewer will like or dislike a piece and for sure never will we all agree. ❤️

Back