Couple of quickies

Bartc

Had been house bound past month, so glad to get out in extraordinarily nice weather with the group. Tried gouache again, but I just don't have the hang of it as yet. Then a little ink study to see what failed on the gouache. Since I do think the comp worked looking at the inked piece, I figure it's the gouache that needs the practice.

9x12" gouache on multimedia paper.
3x5" ink on watercolor paper.

Johnston House in Half Moon Bay, Ca.
Johnston HOuse gouache 2024.jpg
Johnston HOuse ink 2024.jpg

Too much repetition seems to me to be the problem. You are right, the comp in the 2 values works.

So good to get out and about. We've been housebound by weather. Cold then rain. Maybe the dirt/track in the first is distracting. Otherwise I like the rich color. The ink sketch is great.

Too much repetition seems to me to be the problem. You are right, the comp in the 2 values works.
Wayne, are you referring to the background hills or something else. I'm unclear what you're suggesting. Thanks.

Bart, the way I see it your color is equal from left to right, the barn windows and doors are painted with the same brush. The bushes are all one color with one color highlites. You don’t need all those windows. The browns are the same couple of colors from left to right.
as an emample, the three bushes to the left of the barn could each have a slightly different hue, highlites and all. Variety would make this thing come to life. You have the basics already. Sorry, if that’s too critical but that‘s my nature. Speak what you think.

Bart, the way I see it your color is equal from left to right, the barn windows and doors are painted with the same brush. The bushes are all one color with one color highlites. You don’t need all those windows. The browns are the same couple of colors from left to right.
as an emample, the three bushes to the left of the barn could each have a slightly different hue, highlites and all. Variety would make this thing come to life. You have the basics already. Sorry, if that’s too critical but that‘s my nature. Speak what you think.
Not at all critical, and I asked you for the feedback, thanks!
The windows happen to be accurate, BTW.
I agree on the colors of the brown hedge/bush lines. Didn't get in all the colors I thought would liven it up and should have done so. Was struggling with the gouache to get enough variation in those trees you mention. Shows my inexperience with this medium.
Looking at the ink sketch, I should have really just done flat mountains in the background.
It all came out too "primitive" for my taste and my intentions. I am quite dissatisfied with this piece, but happy enough with the later pen sketch. Go figure!

The windows in the sketch work much better than the painting. I do agree about the mountains. It’s all a learning experience. Maybe sketch in gouache instead of painting with it. 😁

The windows in the sketch work much better than the painting. I do agree about the mountains. It’s all a learning experience. Maybe sketch in gouache instead of painting with it. 😁
May be more truth in that than you know....

Love the ink sketch! I've never tried gouache so can't comment on your struggles, though I like the light feel of this piece. Looks like a great scene for plein air.

Pretty good sketches both! Glad you got to go out painting.

I also try gouache every now and then but can't do much anything with them.

Back