Couple of Flower Pieces

Enyaw

namuh
mar.jpg

mar2.jpg

both 11 x 14 inches .. oil on paper .. alla prima .. painted Mar 12/13 of 2023

I like these! The red rose in particular intrigues me, because I am trying to get believable sunlight on red flowers in my current work-in-progress oil painting. I know that mixing white with red to brighten it is probably the worst thing to try.

Thank you Joe, John, and Hermes.

I know that mixing white with red to brighten it is probably the worst thing to try.
Yes. You can mix a little yellow to help brighten but white is cool so it destroys red. Surround it with different shades of darks. Your darkest dark against your lightest light. I have trouble with red as well. I think I will try red sometime this week.

I think I love both equally. I can't choose! (Not that you asked me to! :ROFLMAO: ) They are both excellent Wayne. I love these. ❤️

I am trying to get believable sunlight on red flowers in my current work-in-progress oil painting. I know that mixing white with red to brighten it is probably the worst thing to try.
Hermes, here is my attempt at getting light and dark in reds. Not the painting, just the premixing.
Perm Red Rose, Cad Red Light (hue), Indian Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Burnt Sienna, Purssian blue, Titanium White.
Once you use a color don't go back into it. I can never be as bright as the first mark. Mixtures of red in red and yellow and red .. what ever .. you end up with a whole lot of different reds and it makes your pure red shine. The trick is to use your most intense red sparingly. I'll post the painting in a few days when it's dry enough to photo without glare. I won't use all the colors in the flower so if you are squeemish about using paint, this won't apply. What I don't use I simply make a mixture to use tomorrow. Sometimes you get a real nice color and other times it's not so lovely.
001.JPG

thank you Ayin... yea it's never about choice as all things have their moment in the right setting.

Hermes, here is my attempt at getting light and dark in reds. Not the painting, just the premixing.
Perm Red Rose, Cad Red Light (hue), Indian Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Burnt Sienna, Purssian blue, Titanium White.
Once you use a color don't go back into it. I can never be as bright as the first mark. Mixtures of red in red and yellow and red .. what ever .. you end up with a whole lot of different reds and it makes your pure red shine. The trick is to use your most intense red sparingly. I'll post the painting in a few days when it's dry enough to photo without glare. I won't use all the colors in the flower so if you are squeemish about using paint, this won't apply. What I don't use I simply make a mixture to use tomorrow. Sometimes you get a real nice color and other times it's not so lovely.
View attachment 29256
Thank you for taking the time to address my issue. I plan to play with mixtures of various reds and yellows, as well as starting with some single pigment oranges. I have high hopes for PO73, which Winsor & Newton call Winsor Orange, and is a brilliant, bright reddish orange. I think PO67 (Orange Laque Mineral from Winsor & Newton) should be good as well, but unfortunately I don't have it. I'll report back on my experiments.

Oh wow! Both of these are keepers!❤️ ❤️I love them. Yeah, white tends to drift to pink and will ruin a beautiful red rose. Just always remember that you can't show light without dark. The darker the rest of the rose is, the brighter the sunlit parts will look.

Thank you Sno.

William Alexander. "You can't have light without the dark". The old German painter on PBS who sold off to Bob Ross. I always thought the old guy was drunk at the best of times. I didn't paint but I watched the show as I thought William was hilarious.

There you go. I bet he influenced a lot of people to go to it and have fun with it.

Back