Contemporary Master of the Week

Nonsense. Who deems what is mere decoration? Every example I showed had symbolic expressive meanings understood by the audience as much or more so than Modernist abstraction.

Nonsense. Who deems what is mere decoration? Every example I showed had symbolic expressive meanings understood by the audience as much or more so than Modernist abstraction.

Past examples approach from decoration. Abstract art approaches from art.

A difference…

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, definitely. But I can see from St. Luke's examples that it's been around longer. Maybe not in the same way, but it wasn't a completely out of the blue concept. I mean, it was to the art world in the context of the art world at the time, I am pretty sure about that. I think?

Well... you can't argue with that. The Celtic artists who illuminated the Book of Kells didn't have access to Kandinsky's aesthetic theories... so their work was not Art but mere decoration. :rolleyes:

The decoration is art. Art is decor.

How you approach it makes a significant difference.

JMW Turner died in 1851 I don't consider that recent. exempli gratia
LqSBkvZpSD7RwdjK-5OiYQ%2Fcustom-Custom_Size___j-m-w-turner-snow-storm-steam-boat-off-a-harbour-s-mouth-1842.jpg

Stlukesguild's I find what you say beautiful and shareable.
know the rules to subvert them.
you mention Picasso that I really like and one of my favorite things, maybe he talks about it

(And DeKooning, when he taught at Black Mountain College, famously would not allow his students to jump right into gestural abstraction. Rather, he insisted they begin with accurate still life drawings made from direct observation.)

I think it is like that or it can help you see new ones anyway,
know the rules of the game to break them, use them in part. .

amazing Cornell. I will try to read
something.

Art seems a world in the world with so many different things that can be equally fascinating. given that the tastes are tastes, however, this variety I think is one of the beauties and that give a little sense to everything.

but then I think that doing what you like is much simpler than something that interests you less or does not interest you at all (generally speaking I always thought that but I would have liked to make it present in its time) so I think that every artist maybe to give the best must then indulge their passion, the type of art that satisfies them most (depending on their passions and abilities), whether it be as realistic as possible or otherwise.

thanks again for the examples and all.

Sorry for all the off topic in any discussion

a last thing, an artist that I am pleased to report that I think you may like.

Speaking of artists on social media, if you've already mentioned it, sorry,
speaking of contemporary artists, but not of a classic style,
one of the first artists that I added on istangram in chronological order was
Bob Smith
"Australian artist, living on the sunshine coast. Work in pastel, water color, acrylics and mixed media."
I only know about him of the images posted on his page that I have seen below and I have been back for days hoping for new publications or at least that he is still fine.
I don't know much (any major influences (picasso, other), the story, or in the sense that he could be a very well-known artist but I'm not updated about it,) or what to say about his works (but in any case it doesn't matter what I say, they are only tastes and sensations, but I find all the pieces beautiful, unredeemable by an artist, if not exactly that I find him fantastic.
They are portraits (often with huge heads) or very disproportionate gestures (he does it in such an elegant way, I find that he captures every drawing he does) I'm sorry I haven't found more information or works (but in any case there are many beautiful works that I think it's nice to admire. There are things he wrote us took 5 minutes but I think they are pieces to frame.
They deserve all the works, watercolors, acrylics, pastels and monochromatic works, it's great

joe (edited)- I think that doing what you like is much simpler than something that interests you less or does not interest you at all... I think that every artist... to give the best must then indulge their passion, the type of art that satisfies them most...

Indeed. And Pierre Bonnard who ranks among my 3 or 4 favorite artists of the 20th century would have agreed: "Draw your pleasure, paint your pleasure, and express your pleasure strongly."

Never heard of Cape, but I am extremely into her work. Seems like something that would be better in person. The photos give you some sense of scale, but I'm feeling texture plays a role that's hard to grasp through a screen.

Never heard of Cape, but I am extremely into her work. Seems like something that would be better in person. The photos give you some sense of scale, but I'm feeling texture plays a role that's hard to grasp through a screen.

well she uses blood to paint with, as well as dirt

that's a certain kind of art…

we're blood and dirt after all

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Antemann:

_RKM3707.jpg

I first came across Chris Antemann’s figurines in a ceramics magazine some years back. Every now and then I would stumble upon another in reproduction in this or that art magazine and they never failed to intrigue me.

Chris Antemann.800.jpg

Chris Antemann is a ceramics artist with degrees in painting and ceramics. Her work has been inspired by Asian (she did a residency in China) as well as European tradition of figurines. Her work currently builds upon the tradition of the European Rococo figurines such as those by Clodion...

7383179670_e52dfb3883_z.jpg

Her work often parodies male and female relationship roles through slightly “naughty" figural porcelain vignettes populated by quasi-18th-century characters, scenes, and settings that suggest erotic and slyly ironic narratives.

67448540_1291493214_Chris.jpg

One of Antemann’s dealers has stated “It’s funny, selling her work. Viewers approach it thinking it’s some sort of innocuous figurine. They end up tongue-tied.” No wonder people who buy one often tuck it away in a private spot in the master bedroom or bath.

67-1. Love triangle.jpg

chris-antemann-love-shack.700.jpg

chris-antemann-love-shack-interior.850.jpg

Chris_Antemann_Love_Shack_5271_57.jpg

continued...

Back