colour find.

L

Lazarus

Hi.
i need help to find the best substitute colour for serves blue in oils.

Why do you need to substitute it?
I'm not familiar with that color but doing a quick search on it a few companies carry it in oil. look like its a mix of white, ultramarine blue and phthalo blue.

Why do you need to substitute it?
I'm not familiar with that color but doing a quick search on it a few companies carry it in oil. look like its a mix of white, ultramarine blue and phthalo blue.
I need it to a particular painting im working on. As i already know lots of colours name are actually consisit of other main base colours. So i thought maybe i will make one instead buying it. I have tones of tubes with colours i even not use.
As my research show Sevres blue consist nothing but phat.blue green and zinc white PB15 and PB4, kind of cerulean or sky blue.
At some sites they suggesitg PB7 phat.green inside the Serves blue.

Do you have a sample of the color then? It shouldn't be too hard to mix something close.
looking the color up online some of the pictures are greener then others so I can't give much help. but either the phthalos or ultramarine blue mixed with white should get you close depending what shade it really is. Williamsburg seems to use both of them in their mixture.

Do you have a sample of the color then? It shouldn't be too hard to mix something close.
looking the color up online some of the pictures are greener then others so I can't give much help. but either the phthalos or ultramarine blue mixed with white should get you close depending what shade it really is. Williamsburg seems to use both of them in their mixture.
What was make me more wonderd and i came up with this post is that in the first couple of sites show up in the search engine Williansburg defined the Sevres blue as warm. As far as i know pht.blue is or blue or green. therefore it must maybe consist pth.green PB7 which is yellow side. So it is possible that the pth.blue green shade contain PB7 which is green yellow.

servesblue.jpg

Pg7 is phthalo green (both a blue and yellow shade). Both the green and red shades of phthalo blue are pb15. The green shade is more common.

Each company seems to have their own formula for servers blue which complicates things.
The version of servers blue on the right there uses phthalo blue (green shade) phthalo green and white.
Williamsburg lists phthalo blue, ultramarine blue and white which I'm assuming makes a slightly redder version.
And lastly Rembrandt offers the color as just phthalo blue and white. this one should be in the middle of the other 2.

What I would do is add a little phthalo blue to white and then shift it slightly either redder or greener depending on what you need.

I think PB15 and white doing the job. if the common PB15 is greener most of the time i rather not add PB7.
its kind of sky blue or cerulean shade which are both to the green side.

I think you are on the right track.
IMO, single pigment paints are better for maintaining consistency in mixes and learning the characteristics of the pigment. It complicates variables (color temperature, chroma level, harmonies) when multi pigment paints are mixed with others, and especially when we start mixing those together. Multi pigment colors can be convenient if you find one that works well. However, IMO, it’s more about the MFGs offering a wider range of choices and selections for marketing purposes. So, it services us to learn the characteristics of the pigment by using it in a single mix format.
MFGs vary in processing and pigment ratios in single pigment colors as well, which can further complicate outcomes. I find that the various Blue pigments are particularly difficult to control the subtlety of color temp and chroma, especially between different MFGs.
Also, when using a simpler palette and doing more mixing of secondary’s, etc., I think one is less apt to fall into a “formula” type of solution of arriving at color.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track.
IMO, single pigment paints are better for maintaining consistency in mixes and learning the characteristics of the pigment. It complicates variables (color temperature, chroma level, harmonies) when multi pigment paints are mixed with others, and especially when we start mixing those together. Multi pigment colors can be convenient if you find one that works well. However, IMO, it’s more about the MFGs offering a wider range of choices and selections for marketing purposes. So, it services us to learn the characteristics of the pigment by using it in a single mix format.
MFGs vary in processing and pigment ratios in single pigment colors as well, which can further complicate outcomes. I find that the various Blue pigments are particularly difficult to control the subtlety of color temp and chroma, especially between different MFGs.
Also, when using a simpler palette and doing more mixing of secondary’s, etc., I think one is less apt to fall into a “formula” type of solution of arriving at color.
Thank you. good explanation.

Back