Color studies

Donna T

I'm just playing around with acrylic paint and trying to make simple designs. My hands aren't able to do much in the way of mixing or fine details but it feels good to move paint around. I didn't rinse my brush between colors and liked how even a tiny bit of the previous color made the new color look like it belonged. 6x6 acrylic on watercolor paper

IMG_3321pscs.jpg

IMG_3322pscs.jpg

Look at you starting to work again- well done!

I like the complex depth of the layering- as you said, the colours belong.

Thanks Kay and JStarr. I make ugly layers with the first pass and then paint on top of them. It’s less intimidating that way.
That's why I work on sanded paper- if it offends me, I brush it out and do it again.

The colors all flow together in harmony, Donna! Great layering. I'm happy to see you "moving paint around," too. :) It's all working on these - glad you had fun with them!

Thanks Terri and Jo. It is definitely about the journey and not the destination.

Great color choices here. They work very well together and the compositions are extremely well thought out! Big kudos to you for having a great eye! ♥️

Great to see you painting again Donna! These are awesome - I love those shapes and the color choices are just spot on!

I see them as calming, soothing.
The "shapes" are nothing but "shapes."
Nothing to "think" about or be distracted by.
Bits of serenity in a busy day.
A place for eye and mind to rest.
Joy in a serene day.

Nice color harmonies in these paintings. Now I would think about using at least one color that clashes... but that's just me... I like complementary colors. 😜

Thanks Ayin. Having to squeeze a jar of acrylic paint between my knees in order to open it is kind of a disaster waiting to happen so the fewer the colors the better for the carpet in my room!

Thanks CaliAnn. Simple shapes are doable.

ntl you must have been reading my mind about these being calming and soothing. These kind of studies definitely do not require deep thoughts. Thanks so much!

stlukesguild - when I graduate from these simple harmonies I will put in some clashing colors. Maybe some lavender/pinks for these? I can make mud but purposefully choosing a clash requires some thought. Thanks!

These are wonderful Donna. Warm colors against cool, hard and soft edges - these indicate a lot of mastery.

Back