Cherry Picking--advice on other methods of handling the feet?

ozeanbay

Hi everyone! Here is a portrait that I did this past summer. It was a personal challenge for me as I'm new to portraits and glazing and this included both. I used a terre verte underpainting. There are things that I really like about this painting and things that I wish I had done differently.

One area I could use some advice in is the handling of the perspective of the feet. With the angle of the reference photo, the boy's feet were actually in the image and looked fine in the reference, but they looked quite awkward in the painting. Sooo...I put some long grass over them. Any other suggestions on what I could have done?

Thanks for looking. :)

Cherry Picking glazed 20210904_171200.jpg

tbh i think you've handled it perfectly well. you have a lovely strong focal point between the child's face and what he's inspecting and the feet would just be a distraction. you don't have to include every detail in the reference. in a painting, many times less is more! :)

I love this! The child's interest, focus, is our focus, interest. Beautiful! Lovely blue.

20211017_024559.jpg

This shows the focus on the face and hands- great work! I would just get some of the background strokes more even- especially around the hat. The soft greens show the dark blue so well.

tbh i think you've handled it perfectly well. you have a lovely strong focal point between the child's face and what he's inspecting and the feet would just be a distraction. you don't have to include every detail in the reference. in a painting, many times less is more! :)
I agree! Also, if we see the full painting here, I'm not at all sure where the feet would go! The body finishes around his bottom area!
The face/gaze/expression and connection between boy and plant is so good! Technique comes with lots of practice ........ and practice! 🙂

This is beautiful. Love it.
Advice is to practice and practice. Draw from life if you can. If you don't have a model draw from your own hand in many different positions to practice foreshortening or portrait in a mirror. Have fun. You have a wonderful start on portraits!

lovely .. I have no advice except to say that if you ask yourself the questions your will find answers. You may have to dig and search but you will find what works for you.

Beautiful work, Ozeanbay. My only suggestion for anyone to get to painting hands or feet is to study them and practice them;)
I agree with Michael and Christel.
Your painting is lovely as is no feet needed.

Thank you, all! I really appreciate all the encouragement and suggestions. I'll be working on that practicing and studying...and watching those background brushstrokes! :)

I think you have made a amazing job of this. My advice for what it’s worth is forget the feet. Amazing piece.
Steve.

Back