Cheetah Wire Sculpture Commission

jennaboo88

Hello everyone!

Here is the second commissioned wire sculpture that a client recently ordered. He wanted two sculptures to complement one he had ordered from me previously, so he wanted them all to be sleek with only dark annealed wire and a touch of silver (horns for a charging bull that I made for him in 2017 [pictured at the bottom of this post], the tusks of the elephant I recently shared, and the ears of this cheetah).

I was, frankly, relieved, that he wanted his cheetah to be all dark annealed, as markings like spots aren't yet something I've mastered in wire sculpture. As you can imagine with bands of wire, spots don't exactly lend themselves to the medium. I hope to master that someday...I'm always learning something new with sculpture, so maybe it'll happen at some point. To add embellishments would have gotten clunky, and I really don't care to try to paint the wire, as I don't think it would be as nice-looking as bare wire.

In the end, this cheetah was very, very difficult to do! I actually did it once, and did not turn out as I hoped, so I began again. The exaggerated pose of the prowl was really a challenge, as was the blunt, short face. Cat faces, as well as other short, blunt shapes (imagine monkey faces or owl faces) are nearly impossible because the wire wants to pop loose off the end of the sculpture. Hard to explain. Anyway, so this cheetah needed a do-over. I've kept the first one and may play around at making him a mythological creature or something...because he's still kind of cool.

In the end, I'm very happy and relieved that my client loves this cheetah and has all three sculptures displayed in sunken display spaces that are lit beautifully!

The cheetah measures 10 inches long by 4.5 inches tall by 3 inches wide. He's made with dark annealed wire. His ears are silver oval links from a vintage necklace. His nose is a black metal scrolly piece that I thought had a cat nose look. I hope you like him. Thanks for looking!

Cheetah 1.jpg
Cheetah 2.jpg
Cheetah 3.jpg
Cheetah 4.jpg
Cheetah 6.jpg
Cheetah 9.jpg
Cheetah 11.jpg
Cheetah 13.jpg

Just for fun, here are the three pieces that belong to my client:
Elephant 14.jpgBull 1.jpgCheetah 11.jpg

Beautiful profile and silhouette. Especially like how you conveyed power in the hind quarters. You can sense great speed at any moment. Excellent sculpt!

Love the slinky look of this cheetah! Really like the curvy tail. It will look wonderful displayed with the others.

Beautiful profile and silhouette. Especially like how you conveyed power in the hind quarters. You can sense great speed at any moment. Excellent sculpt!
Such a great comment, Rob. Thank you very much for the wonderful words. :)

Love the slinky look of this cheetah! Really like the curvy tail. It will look wonderful displayed with the others.
Thank you, Kay! That long, slinky look of this guy was harder to sculpt than I expected. I'm so glad you find his form to be successful. Many thanks for the great comments!

Jenna, your work is always perfection. I think you must be one of the most talented artists living today. You are in a class of your own!

Jenna, your work is always perfection. I think you must be one of the most talented artists living today. You are in a class of your own!
Joy, oh, my! I don't know what to say. What a generous compliment. I'm always learning as I go. That's the great thing about art...it's always teaching us lessons, isn't it? Thank you very much for your kind words.

Jenna, you would for sure make my short list of people I would love to meet. Creativity and talent like yours is rare!

Back